Handyman Wire

Who's Online
5 registered (Able_Dog, kickintile, 3 invisible), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#603593 - 04/25/10 11:43 PM Good Earth Lighting ballasts
YTBhand Offline

I bought 5 of the Barrington model CFL light fixtures and within 2 years all of the electronic ballasts had died. I was a little peeved to say the least. The big box store where I bought them didn't sell replacement ballasts. It's a great light fixture and I didn't want to replace them with new ones. After much hunting, I found the exact replacement ballasts at Green Electrical Supply's website.

While replacing the dead ballasts with new ones, I noticed that the schematic on the ballast's label indicated that it's steel case should be grounded. I checked and the old ballasts were not grounded adequately. The two that I checked were not grounded at all. Infinite ohms from the ballast's case to the metal of the light fixture.

After a little Dremel tool grinding remedy in the right spots, the fixtures are now working as good as new. I have 6 months of run time and hopefully this fix will help make the ballasts last longer. This overhaul was more than a novice should try but this post might help someone who's lost electronic ballasts in their new cfl light fixtures.

#603594 - 04/26/10 06:12 AM Re: Good Earth Lighting ballasts [Re: YTBhand]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Seneca Nation
Can you post pics or model numbers? If it is a wide spread problem I may want to notify UL. Some of the "green" products are counterfeit UL listed.

RIP RS

#603595 - 04/26/10 02:37 PM Re: Good Earth Lighting ballasts [Re: YTBhand]
Stubby Offline

Loc: Midwest
Track down Good Earth Lighting and call their customer service or TechRep line.

I've had good luck with them kicking out spare parts and entire fixtures at no charge just to retain the customer.

Seems like a decent outfit.

#603596 - 04/26/10 09:38 PM Re: Good Earth Lighting ballasts [Re: YTBhand]
YTBhand Offline

Model number for the light fixture is: G4319-ABZ-I

The ballast is a Keystone Technologies, LLC. Catalog number is: KTEB-226-1-TP

Ballast is contained within the light fixture and inaccessible. I believe the ballast was just lacking it's grounded case and subject to emi/rfi interference due to the inadequate shielding.

#603597 - 04/27/10 11:13 AM Re: Good Earth Lighting ballasts [Re: YTBhand]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Seneca Nation
Thanks now I see. I was having trouble figuring out how you modified the ballast in an Edison based (twisted) CFL

Make sure by bonding the case you are not tying the neutral and ground together.

RIP RS

#603598 - 04/27/10 11:36 AM Re: Good Earth Lighting ballasts [Re: YTBhand]
YTBhand Offline

The ground wire is not connected to the neutral within the light fixture. The light fixture has a separate green wire pigtail. One end is connected to the metal case of the fixture with terminal lug under tightened screw post. The other end is stripped, tinned and connected to the bare copper conductor of the input Romex cable with a screw nut.

The ballast does not have a ground wire to connect to this grounding post. The ballast relies on it's mechanical mounting to the fixture to get the case grounded. This mechanical mounting is done with two screws and two nuts. The problem, I believe, was the paint on the ballast and the fixture was not allowing the electrical connection of the ground to the ballast.

I used my Dremel tool to grind off the paint around these two mechanical mounting screws. Then I retested the continuity of the ground path from the stripped end of the fixture ground wire to the ballast case. Now I have zero ohms for this test.

#603599 - 04/27/10 04:27 PM Re: Good Earth Lighting ballasts [Re: YTBhand]
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
Should have been installed with star washers,

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.