Handyman Wire

Who's Online
8 registered (Able_Dog, FoxCub, yardmaster, JasonB, twoshoes, 3 invisible), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#602689 - 04/19/10 08:09 AM Stihl chainsaw: cracked chain oil reservoir
phrankndonna Offline

Loc: S.W. Michigan
Hi, my buddy apparently dropped his Stihl chainsaw and cracked the chain oil reservoir case (approx. 2inch crack). He had tried to repair it by pouring what looked like epoxy along the crack, but it continues to leak oil. I know that replacing the case is the optimum solution, but that may be cost prohibitive. Is there an epoxy that would work for something like this? Thanks.

Frank

#602690 - 04/19/10 08:24 AM Re: Stihl chainsaw: cracked chain oil reservoir [Re: phrankndonna]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Have him try some local saw/small engine shops. They may have "donor parts" around from an old saw. You don't post the specific model or the saw, so hard to tell if this is even an option.

#602691 - 04/19/10 08:57 AM Re: Stihl chainsaw: cracked chain oil reservoir [Re: phrankndonna]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SW Michigan
Surfaces need to be squeaky clean for any adhesive to work. Nothing sticks to an oily surface. (except, perhaps, dirt )

#602692 - 04/19/10 09:07 AM Re: Stihl chainsaw: cracked chain oil reservoir [Re: mommapup.]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Surfaces need to be squeaky clean for any adhesive to work. Nothing sticks to an oily surface. (except, perhaps, dirt )

Brake Clean does an excellent job here.

#602693 - 04/19/10 09:07 AM Re: Stihl chainsaw: cracked chain oil reservoir [Re: phrankndonna]
twoshoes Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: PA
You may want to look at this link for J-B Weld Looks like they have products for repairing any type of material. But as Bozodog said: It need to be really clean for it to work. You may want to clean it with alcohol first.

#602694 - 04/19/10 10:03 AM Re: Stihl chainsaw: cracked chain oil reservoir [Re: CabinConnection]
phrankndonna Offline

It's a Stihl 039. I did find a gas/oil tank crankcase assembly for the Stihl 029/039 on eBay for $25, and from looking around the internet, that seems to be a decent price. (I know the risks of eBay and am very careful about the things I buy through that site). If that falls through, I'll try the JB Weld stuff, making sure it is extremely clean. Both Brake Clean and alcohol were mentioned as cleaners. Which would be better?

My buddy has gone out and bought a new chainsaw, so he's not in any rush (nice to have that kind of money, I don't, which is why I try to fix things...and it's fun and satisfying bringing something back to life that was going to be thrown away). Thanks for all your help.

Frank

#602695 - 04/19/10 10:15 AM Re: Stihl chainsaw: cracked chain oil reservoir [Re: phrankndonna]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SW Michigan
I'm not so sure alcohol would "cut" that heavy bar oil... I'm leaning toward brake/carb cleaner.

#602696 - 04/19/10 11:11 AM Re: Stihl chainsaw: cracked chain oil reservoir [Re: mommapup.]
phrankndonna Offline

Ok. We'll see if I can get the replacement crankcase first, which will be later this evening. If that doesn't pan out, I'll try the JB Weld. Thanks.

#602697 - 04/19/10 11:18 AM Re: Stihl chainsaw: cracked chain oil reservoir [Re: phrankndonna]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Either brake or carb clean will work fine.

That reservoir is a casting and probably has a baked white enamel on it as well. After cleaning, sand that off and clean it again, then use one of the JB Weld products.

As long as it's not dropped (again?), you may be able to salvage the existing reservoir. I'd sure give the JB Weld a try before tearing that whole bottom end apart.

#602698 - 04/19/10 03:27 PM Re: Stihl chainsaw: cracked chain oil reservoir [Re: CabinConnection]
phrankndonna Offline

It looks like I may win the eBay auction for the replacement, but that's ok since it's not that much. I'll still try the JB Weld first. Having the new crankcase as a back up in case the weld doesn't hold sometime down the line won't hurt. Thanks for the info about the info about the white enamel to sand off.

Frank

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob_Q, CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.