Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#598087 - 03/20/10 01:40 PM Romex cable need to be in conduit?
sportster Offline
Handyman

Loc: South West Ohio
I have three outlets on my basement wall that have no conduit around the romex cable. Is that against code or is it just good practice to have it in the conduit?

This is in an unfinished basement in Ohio.

#598088 - 03/20/10 03:34 PM Re: Romex cable need to be in conduit? [Re: sportster]
3phase Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Licensed Electrical Contractor...
Romex, NM cable, needs to be protected from physical damage. Normally it is inside a wall so it is. But if run as you have it , then it needs a sleeve of some type. A short length ( not a full box to box system) of conduit open on at least one end could be used. Or a wooden box can be built around the NM. Does the NM run down a stud? If so a box around it might be easier.

#598089 - 03/20/10 03:52 PM Re: Romex cable need to be in conduit? [Re: sportster]
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
How is the cable ran? Is it ran overhead strung though holes in the joist and then vertically dropped down to the receptacles? If it is then you should "sleeve" the romex with a short run of conduit that extends from the receptacle box to near the ceiling joist with a conduit to romex fitting on the end. Also make sure you follow the notching & boring rules to structually protect your framing members.

However if your cable is run horizontally along the wall between receptacles then you'll want to remove the romex all together and install conduit and then fish individual wires inside the conduit between receptacles. It's not preferred to install romex inside of conduit that's enclosed at both ends, so installing three individual wires, a hot, neutral and ground all rated THHN/THWN would be the way to go. This link will show you all the details involved.

Whichever way you go because this is an unfinished basement just be sure that the receptacles on this circuit are GFCI protected

#598090 - 03/22/10 09:44 AM Re: Romex cable need to be in conduit? [Re: dora]
sportster Offline
Handyman

The cable runs down my cement wall to the outlet boxes. There are no studs just the wall.

So it sounds like I can run conduit from the outlet box to the ceiling and I should be ok?

I have GFI's an the outlets already.

#598091 - 03/22/10 11:01 AM Re: Romex cable need to be in conduit? [Re: sportster]
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

So it sounds like I can run conduit from the outlet box to the ceiling and I should be ok?

Yes, easiest way to secure the conduit to the wall is to use a clamp held in place using a tapcon screw. If the wall is a block wall then tapping into the joint is the way I would go.

#598092 - 03/22/10 11:01 AM Re: Romex cable need to be in conduit? [Re: sportster]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Seneca Nation
Quote:

The cable runs down my cement wall to the outlet boxes. There are no studs just the wall.

I have GFI's an the outlets already.

Yes that would protect it. It could be metal or schedule 80 pvc.The cable must be protected from damage where it comes out of conduit no sharp bends. Which ever you think would protect it from damage given the activities in you basement. "Where subject to physical damage" is open to interpretation by the AHJ there is no definition.
So yours as you plan to install it is probably code compliant in that location. (Thanks Dora)Good catch

Edited by code_ceis (03/22/10 11:55 AM)

RIP RS

#598093 - 03/22/10 11:37 AM Re: Romex cable need to be in conduit? [Re: code_ceis]
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

So yours as installed is probably code compliant in that location.

Just wanting to clarify your statement. Currently sportsters installation is unprotected romex running down the basement wall. A romex cable running down a basement wall is in most cases exposed work and subjected to physical damage. Here is the definition of "exposed" work:
- Exposed (as applied to wiring methods). On or attached to the surface or behind panels designed to allow access.

"From the 2008 NEC. - ARTICLE 334 Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable: Types NM, NMC, and NMS

- - 334.15 Exposed Work.
- - - In exposed work, except as provided in 300.11(A), cable shall be installed as specified in 334.15(A) through (C).
- - - - (C) In Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces. Where cable is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements and crawl spaces, it shall be permissible to secure cables not smaller than two 6 AWG or three 8 AWG conductors directly to the lower edges of the joists. Smaller cables shall be run either through bored holes in joists or on running boards.

NM cable installed on the wall of an unfinished basement shall be permitted to be installed in a listed conduit or tubing or shall be protected in accordance with 300.4. Conduit or tubing shall be provided with a suitable insulating bushing or adapter at the point the cable enters the raceway. The NM cable sheath shall extend through the conduit or tubing and into the outlet or device box not less than 6 mm ( in.). The cable shall be secured within 300 mm (12 in.) of the point where the cable enters the conduit or tubing. Metal conduit, tubing, and metal outlet boxes shall be connected to an equipment grounding conductor."

I'll guess you meant that he'll be code compliant After he is done implementing the plan.

#598094 - 03/23/10 05:59 AM Re: Romex cable need to be in conduit? [Re: dora]
sportster Offline
Handyman

Thanks for the help everyone!

This is the last thing I need to do in order to complete the sale of my house

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.