Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (kickintile), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#597503 - 03/17/10 10:11 AM LG/Goldstar microwave - "Start" button not working
dtownfb Offline
fanatic

Loc: York, PA
I have a Goldstar (LG) microwave - MVH1615WW. The "start" button does not work. The microwave will work if you use the "Popcorn" button. I tried resetting the unit (unplug, hold "start" button for 45 seconds and plug back in) but that didn't help. The microwave is only 3 years old and would hate to buy a new one. But it was a clearance sale at HD for only $110.

Is this something I can fix myself?
Is it worth having someone fix it, considering how much I paid for it and the cost to repair?

Thanks

#597504 - 03/17/10 12:23 PM Re: LG/Goldstar microwave - "Start" button not working [Re: dtownfb]
howardgillis Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Fort Mill, S.C.
Quote:

Is it worth having someone fix it, considering how much I paid for it and the cost to repair?

With small to medium size microwave ovens going for $60-100 it hardly makes sense to spend $60 to have one repaired. Thus, replacement should be considered seriously before sinking a large investment into an older oven.
If you can do the repair yourself, the equation changes dramatically as your parts costs will be 1/2 to 1/4 of what a professional will charge and of course your time is free.
source: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm#micreprep

So, paying someone else to fix it seems not practical.
I've always considered a microwave and some TV's and VCR's, cheaper to buy a new or second hand one on Craigslist, as the best way to go. Many are cheaper to relace than repair.

I see articles on the "danger" of microwave repairs.
Microwave Oven Danger! You can receive a serious electrical shock from the components inside your microwave oven--even when it's unplugged. Only a qualified appliance repair technician should perform any repair.

MICROWAVE-TROUBLESHOOTING
http://www.repairclinic.com/Microwave-Troubleshooting
Fuses
Usually, when your microwave oven doesn't work it all, the internal fuse (thermal fuse) is blown. This fuse protects both you and the oven. When it blows, you need to have a qualified appliance repair technician replace it.

Door switch
If the fuse isn't the problem, check the door hooks and the door-release button. When these are broken, the door switch doesn't activate, so the oven can't work.

here is a price list for parts for your model number.
http://www.repairclinic.com/Appliance-Parts?s=t-MVH1615WW-%3d%3d&txt=1
switches at the bottom on page one run about $16 before shipping.

I'd go to your local Craigslist page and look into a good deal on a new (2nd hand) one.
Or buy a new one.

Yours was a sale and maybe a discontinued model. You got over 1000 daily uses for $110.
Not too bad unless you are qualified to repair it yourself.

#597505 - 03/17/10 01:27 PM Re: LG/Goldstar microwave - "Start" button not working [Re: dtownfb]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

Quote:

The "start" button does not work

What happen instead? Can the setting be set? Clock counts down but no cooking/fans? Dead?

If you can set the clock/settings ok and it will run on popcorn and cook....might just be a bad key panal.

jeff.

#597506 - 03/18/10 09:16 AM Re: LG/Goldstar microwave - "Start" button not working [Re: jeff1]
dtownfb Offline
fanatic

Quote:

Hi,

Quote:

The "start" button does not work

What happen instead? Can the setting be set? Clock counts down but no cooking/fans? Dead?

If you can set the clock/settings ok and it will run on popcorn and cook....might just be a bad key panal.

jeff.

I can set the cooking time but when I push the "start" button, nothing happens. Like I said, the microwave works when you hit the "popcorn" button since that starts the microwave automatically after 5 seconds. The clock can be set and works fine. I believe it is just the "start" button that is defective.

#597507 - 03/18/10 09:33 AM Re: LG/Goldstar microwave - "Start" button not working [Re: howardgillis]
dtownfb Offline
fanatic

Quote:

Quote:

With small to medium size microwave ovens going for $60-100 it hardly makes sense to spend $60 to have one repaired. Thus, replacement should be considered seriously before sinking a large investment into an older oven.
If you can do the repair yourself, the equation changes dramatically as your parts costs will be 1/2 to 1/4 of what a professional will charge and of course your time is free.
source: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm#micreprep

So, paying someone else to fix it seems not practical.
I've always considered a microwave and some TV's and VCR's, cheaper to buy a new or second hand one on Craigslist, as the best way to go. Many are cheaper to relace than repair.

I see articles on the "danger" of microwave repairs.
Microwave Oven Danger! You can receive a serious electrical shock from the components inside your microwave oven--even when it's unplugged. Only a qualified appliance repair technician should perform any repair.

MICROWAVE-TROUBLESHOOTING
http://www.repairclinic.com/Microwave-Troubleshooting
Fuses
Usually, when your microwave oven doesn't work it all, the internal fuse (thermal fuse) is blown. This fuse protects both you and the oven. When it blows, you need to have a qualified appliance repair technician replace it.

Door switch
If the fuse isn't the problem, check the door hooks and the door-release button. When these are broken, the door switch doesn't activate, so the oven can't work.

here is a price list for parts for your model number.
http://www.repairclinic.com/Appliance-Parts?s=t-MVH1615WW-%3d%3d&txt=1
switches at the bottom on page one run about $16 before shipping.

I'd go to your local Craigslist page and look into a good deal on a new (2nd hand) one.
Or buy a new one.

Yours was a sale and maybe a discontinued model. You got over 1000 daily uses for $110.
Not too bad unless you are qualified to repair it yourself.

Thanks for the info howard. our first microwave (Sharp Carousel; big mofo) lasted 13 years; this one only 3 years. Go figure. Looks like I'm microwave shopping this weekend.

#597508 - 03/18/10 12:28 PM Re: LG/Goldstar microwave - "Start" button not working [Re: dtownfb]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

I can set the cooking time but when I push the "start" button, nothing happens

Certainly sounds like a bad key/touch pad....but your model# will not come up for me online.

jeff.

#597509 - 03/18/10 12:41 PM Re: LG/Goldstar microwave - "Start" button not working [Re: jeff1]
dtownfb Offline
fanatic

I wonder if it is listed under Goldstar..... or try MV-1615WW

#597510 - 03/18/10 10:13 PM Re: LG/Goldstar microwave - "Start" button not working [Re: dtownfb]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Probably need to call to check on any parts.
Goldstar is the G is LG....Lucky toothpaste company and Goldstar = LG.

jeff.

#597511 - 03/19/10 09:20 AM Re: LG/Goldstar microwave - "Start" button not working [Re: jeff1]
dtownfb Offline
fanatic

I found the part I would need at this website: http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/search/partinfo.php?partsID=344008

I think the decision has been made for me. I will officially begin my search for a new microwave.

Thank you jeff and howardgillis for your help.

#597512 - 03/19/10 10:32 AM Re: LG/Goldstar microwave - "Start" button not working [Re: dtownfb]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Expensive little bugger!

Quote:

I think the decision has been made for me. I will officially begin my search for a new microwave

Happy shopping time.

jeff.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.