Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (Able_Dog, Joe_Guy, 1 invisible), 57 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
New Reply
Topic Options
#569994 - 10/04/09 07:02 PM Replacing 9 lite window grill on exterior door
AndrewScamp Offline
first timer

Loc: NY
I have an exterior metal entry door that has a cracked moulding on the 9 lite window. Door is made by guardian. Can I replace the plastic moulding/grill or do I need to purchase this with the window as well? Any sites you can recommend to purchase something would be greatly appreciated. thanks!! Andrew

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#569995 - 10/05/09 05:03 AM Re: Replacing 9 lite window grill on exterior door [Re: AndrewScamp]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
You should be able to buy just the grill set(inside/outside). Do a search for the manufacturer. The outside may be well caulked in place, but it should all come apart after removing the screws on the interior side.

#569996 - 10/05/09 05:11 AM Re: Replacing 9 lite window grill on exterior door [Re: AndrewScamp]
jigs Offline
veteran

Loc: New York
Measure your molding, since doors come in various sizes and go to your local lumber yard. If you can't find the company on line [I tried]they should have catalogs for the different manufacturers and how to contact them. If you're lucky, they may have a damaged door your size sitting in the back where they can give you the grill.

#569997 - 10/05/09 09:14 AM Re: Replacing 9 lite window grill on exterior door [Re: jigs]
JMac Offline
veteran

Loc: Cary, North Carolina
One place to try is your local Habitat for Humanity ReUse store. I went to ours a few months ago for a window for my 9 light door and they had a bunch in stock. Unfortunately they didn't have exactly what I wanted, mine had the dividers between the panes. For about $35 I could have picked up a complete door to take the glass and molding from. The glass and molding were in pretty good shape the door, not so much, it had a pet door cut into it. Had it fit the cost was less than half of the replacement glass I ordered from the manufacturer thru the local Lowe's store.

#569998 - 10/05/09 12:01 PM Re: Replacing 9 lite window grill on exterior door [Re: JMac]
EAP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The HEARTland - Ohio
Some of these false lite frames (grills) are held in place by small clips. Take care when removing these grills as the tabs (clips) can pop out if you have that type.

The Habitat ReStores can be a great source for items. Some of these stores actually carry designer type stuff as well as things a home store carries like planter pots for example.

They are not limited (necessarily) to your typical pipes, screws, wire, switches, doors, etc.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.