Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#566353 - 09/08/09 08:44 AM insulated vs. non-insulated toilet tanks
JVM Offline
journeyman

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I thought insulated toilet tanks were pretty standard these days but I was at a Lowe's on the weekend and they had a Kohler Cimmarron complete toilet-in-a-box on sale. It was a good price but I was surprised that it came with an uninsulated tank. I saw the same thing with a Kohler Wellworth complete in-a-box at Home Depot a few weeks ago.

I was hesitant to buy it and have a sweating tank all the time. The sales guy at Lowe's said that because 1.6 gallon toilets fill with less water, it comes to room temp fairly quickly and sweating tanks aren't much of a problem. He said that's why manufacturers aren't always selling insulated tanks. Any thoughts on this? I'm drawing water at my cottage right from the lake and it can be pretty cold depending on the time of year.

Thanks a lot.

#566354 - 09/08/09 08:57 AM Re: insulated vs. non-insulated toilet tanks [Re: JVM]
CabinConnection Online   content
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
I use an anti-sweat valve like this. Eliminates the sweating.

#566355 - 09/08/09 10:15 AM Re: insulated vs. non-insulated toilet tanks [Re: CabinConnection]
Dennis_H_N.J. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Toms River, N.J.
Al,Is your water heater close enough to temper the water? Or do you install it by the WH, and run a new line?

#566356 - 09/08/09 10:46 AM Re: insulated vs. non-insulated toilet tanks [Re: Dennis_H_N.J.]
CabinConnection Online   content
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Quote:

Al,Is your water heater close enough to temper the water? Or do you install it by the WH, and run a new line?

HWH is 25' away I'd guess, then the valve is right below the pooper. Basement temp. runs about 65F, so the water sitting in the HW pipe is no cooler than this.

When I bought this place, I had all kinds of sweat issues, ESPECIALLY when guests were here and using that toilet alot. Since installing the valve, I have zero tank sweat.

Plus... when it gets used first thing in the morning, it draws hot water over to the bathroom, minimizing the wait for the shower to heat up.

Works great for me.

#566357 - 09/08/09 11:22 AM Re: insulated vs. non-insulated toilet tanks [Re: JVM]
Bob_Fleming Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ft Collins, CO USA
I have never used an insulated tank; in fact, I have never seen one in a store in SoCA or here. However, if your inside humidity is a bit high, you may need one. Our climate here is dry and we run a humidifier all the time, summer and winter.

#566358 - 09/09/09 08:02 AM Re: insulated vs. non-insulated toilet tanks [Re: Bob_Fleming]
JVM Offline
journeyman

Thanks. I do have high humididity part of the year in our area so tank sweating could be a problem. That's why I figured that insulated tanks were pretty much standard around here now and the suggestion that low-flush toilets were not as prone to sweating was new. It makes sense in theory that a lesser water volume would warm to room temp quicker but I wondered what people were finding in real installations. We run a de-humidifier in our place during the summer so we're in the opposite situation to yours.

Thanks again everyone and I'd still like to hear if anyone has had sweating problems on a low flow toilet with an uninsulated tank.

#566359 - 09/15/09 01:27 PM Re: insulated vs. non-insulated toilet tanks [Re: JVM]
jigs Offline
veteran

Loc: New York
I have a Wellworth in my house in the Catskills, which is a great low flow flusher, but it will occassionally sweat in the summer. For me, sweating is a result of a lot of people using the toilet and high ambient humidity. My incoming well water is around 45 degrees but will warm up to around 60 if there's low usage. But when the girls visit on a humid summer day, the tank can look like a glass of frosty iced tea.

#566360 - 09/16/09 07:07 AM Re: insulated vs. non-insulated toilet tanks [Re: jigs]
JVM Offline
journeyman

Thanks Jigs. My place is located in central Ontario lake country so we're pretty similar to you in terms of place and climate. We get a lot of humid summer days too. I have since checked out some other Kohlers and none of them have insulated tanks. Since I've heard good things about the Kohlers I will probably buy one anyways - insulated or not.
Thanks a lot for the input.

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.