Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 40 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#565304 - 08/31/09 07:05 PM When did GFCI outlets become required?
zeez Offline
enthusiast

I know that it is code today that all outlets in wet areas are required to be GFCI protected. Can anybody tell me when that code went into effect? In other words, how old would a building have to be to be "grandfathered" and legal without GFCI outlets? (near a hose bib, inside a garage, specifically)

#565305 - 08/31/09 07:30 PM Re: When did GFCI outlets become required? [Re: zeez]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Seneca Nation

http://www.mikeholt.com/documents/nec/pdf/GFCI_requirement_page2.pdf

Several areas require GFCIs and smoke detectors to be brought up to code when house is sold. Some insurance carriers also require it.

Edited by code_ceis (08/31/09 08:30 PM)

RIP RS

#565306 - 09/01/09 06:09 PM Re: When did GFCI outlets become required? [Re: code_ceis]
EAP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The HEARTland - Ohio
Actually back then, the code applied to outdoor receptacles at that time. Since then, it has been expanded to include kitchens, bathrooms, basements, and other areas.

Incidentally, Arc fault circuit interrupters began as a limited requirement too. First mandated (loosely speaking) in bedrooms and with the latest NEC it has been expanded to cover "nearly" every area in a home that is not protected by a GFCI. This would include other "habitable" spaces in the home.

GFCI's I believe had their first introduction in mines in Southern Africa many many years ago, though I can not recall the exact date without checking.

#565307 - 09/01/09 06:54 PM Re: When did GFCI outlets become required? [Re: EAP]
zeez Offline
enthusiast

Wow, that's a lot older than I thought! I just want to be sure I'm right when I let the landlord at my shop know how much I spent just bringing her illegal building up to code. (so far I've replaced 8 outlets with GFCIs)

#565308 - 09/01/09 07:35 PM Re: When did GFCI outlets become required? [Re: zeez]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Technical speaking a code violation is not illegal just nonconforming. The other factor is when did the AHJ adopt the code. Several states did not adopt any code until the mid 80s. NY it was 1984. Your building may be code complaint with out GFCIs even built in the early 80s. Updating GFCIs is in the best interest of everyone.

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/PDF/ROP/70-A2010-ROP.pdf

The Report on Proposals for the 2011 code you have until 10/23 to make comments.

RIP RS

#565309 - 09/01/09 07:43 PM Re: When did GFCI outlets become required? [Re: EAP]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The first GFCI was right here in Central NY GO ORANGE!!
According to the Pass & Seymour web site.

Our history
Over 100 years ago, our founders set up shop on the banks of the Erie Canal positioning themselves along the route to a new frontier. Following suit, today's Pass & Seymour/Legrand is well-positioned and well-capitalized to seize opportunities in the next century and new frontiers in the electrical field.

* 1890: Founded in Syracuse, New York as innovator in porcelain insulators
* 1971: Invented & introduced industry's first GFCI
* 1980: Acquired Sierra Electric
* 1980: Acquired Pass & Seymour, Canada
* 1984: Acquired by Legrand
* 1988: Acquired Slater Electric, Inc.
* 1988: Acquired Power Controls Corp.
* 1996: Acquired The Watt Stopper, Inc.
* 1998: Acquired Ortronics, Inc.
* 1998: Acquired Tomstar Controls, Inc.
* 1999: Acquired Caribe GE Wiring Devices, Inc.
* 1999: Acquired Reiker Enterprises, Inc.

RIP RS

#565310 - 09/01/09 07:54 PM Re: When did GFCI outlets become required? [Re: zeez]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Illinois
The GFCI requirements evolved alot throughout the years. Requirements for specific locations changed. For example in 1996 the NEC requires all residential kitchen counter receptacles to be GFCI protected, nothing to do with near a sink as in prior codes. There are probably 30 areas in the code that require GFCI protection, depending on what type of building/occupancy it is, and speficic locations. Its not as simple as "in wet areas" since its not just water, its also the high probability that a person will come in contact with a grounded surface and a load. More recent NEC's require all 15 and 20 amp 120 volt receptacles in commercial kitchens to be GFCI protected (even receptacles behind a refrigerator). There are even specific appliances that require GFCI protection (vending machines for example). The exception for dedicated appliances to be non-GFCI protected in basements and garages has now been removed. In some areas cities are inspecting houses prior to sale, and requiring GFCI's (even where not required when the house was built). Installing GFCI's is not that big of a deal so most people don't argue about being grandfathered, although GFCI's have gotten more expensive due to changes in the NEC and UL standards recently but GFCI's do add to the safety. The only problem is installing them in a crowded box. One time I had an inspector argue (for some reason, I don't know why) that I installed a wire-mold starter box as an extender, but when he considered that the other alternitives were either to jamb the GFCI in a crowded box with brittle wire or considerably stress the wiring while changing the box he allowed the extender.

#565311 - 09/04/09 03:40 PM Re: When did GFCI outlets become required? [Re: MCA]
EAP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The HEARTland - Ohio
Quote:

In some areas cities are inspecting houses prior to sale,

Thaks for permitting me to get another jab at gov't authorities. This is more a TAX or fee grab than it is a safety issue.

In a roundabout way similar to red light cameras on the roadways.

#565312 - 09/04/09 08:09 PM Re: When did GFCI outlets become required? [Re: EAP]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Illinois
Quote:

This is more a TAX or fee grab than it is a safety issue.

Exactly.
The city that I live in charges $400 for home sale the inspection.
In another city we have a restaurant, and we have a picnic table outside with an umbrella on it. Last month a building/zoning official came in with a written violation stating that we need a special permit to have an umbrella on the property. Obviously not a safety issue there.
Just like the red light cameras you mentioned, from what I understand the violation does'nt even go on peoples records, so that proves they installed them just as a revenue producer.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.