Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#495588 - 10/23/08 05:42 AM wire diagram for switch and GFI switch combo recep
silverado2 Offline

Coming out of the wall are 2 black wires, 2 white wires and 1 red wire. There was a switch to a light and a receptacle side by side.

I am now going to do one of the following:

1. Put just a switch. PLease advise wireing for wires mentioned above.

2. GFI switch receptacle combo. Please advise wireing for wires mentioned above.

3. Switch, GFI receptacle side by side. Please advise wireing

the wires are aluminum

I look forward to a response. Thank you very very much for the help and this forum. I a, sure I will be here alot

#495589 - 10/23/08 08:03 AM Re: wire diagram for switch and GFI switch combo recep [Re: silverado2]
3phase Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Licensed Electrical Contractor...
Quote:

the wires are aluminum

If the wires are Al make sure you use the CO/AL marked devices. Do you know which wires originally ran to the recptacle?

#495590 - 10/23/08 08:04 AM Re: wire diagram for switch and GFI switch combo recep [Re: silverado2]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Illinois
Quote:

the wires are aluminum

For aluminum you need devices marked CO/ALR, unfortunantly I doubt that they make GFCI or combo devices rated CO/ALR. A copper pigtail will be needed, but a special device must be used. In the past the only approved method (and still the recommended method) is a special crimping connector (copalum brand name)that requires a special installation tool and must be installed by a trained technician. There are purple wire nuts listed for aluminum to copper but there were reports of failures with those. There is a new set-screw type connector listed for aluminum to copper, I beleive its called Alumiconn that appears to be a promissing option.

Which wire is the hot for the light...I am guessing the red is the switched hot for the light. All the neutrals go togather and go to the silver terminal of the receptacle. The switched hot goes to one terminal of the switch. The incomming/always live hots go to the receptacle and one side of the switch.

Are you sure its aluminum? Old cloth covered rubber wire is tinned copper.
You may possibly be able to make this work with just using wiring devices, no splicing, but if its a location that requires a GFCI you will need one (unless you put one in the panel).
The aluminum issue really complicates this.

#495591 - 10/23/08 09:26 PM Re: wire diagram for switch and GFI switch combo recep [Re: MCA]
silverado2 Offline

Quote:

Quote:

the wires are aluminum

For aluminum you need devices marked CO/ALR, unfortunantly I doubt that they make GFCI or combo devices rated CO/ALR. A copper pigtail will be needed, but a special device must be used. In the past the only approved method (and still the recommended method) is a special crimping connector (copalum brand name)that requires a special installation tool and must be installed by a trained technician. There are purple wire nuts listed for aluminum to copper but there were reports of failures with those. There is a new set-screw type connector listed for aluminum to copper, I beleive its called Alumiconn that appears to be a promissing option.

Which wire is the hot for the light...I am guessing the red is the switched hot for the light. All the neutrals go togather and go to the silver terminal of the receptacle. The switched hot goes to one terminal of the switch. The incomming/always live hots go to the receptacle and one side of the switch.

Are you sure its aluminum? Old cloth covered rubber wire is tinned copper.
You may possibly be able to make this work with just using wiring devices, no splicing, but if its a location that requires a GFCI you will need one (unless you put one in the panel).
The aluminum issue really complicates this.

Yup they are Alminum. I ordered the alumiconn and should have in a few days.

If I go with the single switch and a GFI receptacle next to it the only thing not clear to me is the 2 black wires coming ot of the wall:
Is tthis correct:

Connect the 2 blacks out of the wall and pig tail from those 2 wires to the receptacle and also the switch, is this correct?

I get the white and the red.

Also, if I were to do just a single switch what would be the configuration for that. So, many wires?

Thank you very much for all your help!!

#495592 - 10/24/08 07:14 AM Re: wire diagram for switch and GFI switch combo recep [Re: silverado2]
3phase Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Connect the 2 blacks out of the wall and pig tail from those 2 wires to the receptacle and also the switch, is this correct?

No, one of the black wires goes to the switch for the light and one goes to the receptacle. I gather you did not mark the black wires before removing them? Are the 2 black wires on a different breaker?

#495593 - 10/24/08 03:29 PM Re: wire diagram for switch and GFI switch combo recep [Re: 3phase]
silverado2 Offline

Quote:

Quote:

No, one of the black wires goes to the switch for the light and one goes to the receptacle. I gather you did not mark the black wires before removing them? Are the 2 black wires on a different breaker?

It was hooked up as follow:

2 black wires coming out of the wall were connected together and then with 2 pigtails coming out. One pigtail went to the receptacle and 1 pitail went to the switch. So a total of 4 wires in the wire nut(2 from the wall and 2 pigtails)

Only 1 black wire is hot I would assume the other black wire is from the light.

Does this sound correct to you.

#495594 - 10/27/08 08:11 AM Re: wire diagram for switch and GFI switch combo recep [Re: silverado2]
3phase Offline
Carpal Tunnel

OK, that is different than I have seen it done but I'll go on. If one of the 2 blacks that are together is hot then I would surmise that the other black may feed something on down the line, such as another recpt or light.

#495595 - 10/28/08 07:04 PM Re: wire diagram for switch and GFI switch combo recep [Re: 3phase]
silverado2 Offline

I am very confused so I removed the light to see how the wires were connected.

at the light coming out of the wall at the light:

2 white out of the wall connected to the light white wire
2 black out of the wall connected to each other
1 red out of the wall connected to the black wire of the light

coming out of the wall where the switch and receptacle were located:

2 black wires(one is hot and one is not)
2 white wires
1 red wire

Now I want to install only a single pole switch to turn the light on and off. I will be removing the receotacle. So, what do I do with all these wires.

Thank you very much for your help.

#495596 - 10/28/08 07:22 PM Re: wire diagram for switch and GFI switch combo recep [Re: silverado2]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Illinois
From your description (no need to remove the receptacle by the way) at the switch/receptacle box.
* Tie the white neutrals togather and also connect those neutrals to the "Line" silver GFCI terminal.
* Tie the blacks togather and connect those blacks to the receptacle's "Line" gold screw and also to one terminal of the single pole switch.
* Connect the red to the other terminal of the single pole switch.

That will make everything work.

Be sure to use the proper terminations and devices for the aluminum wire.

#495597 - 10/28/08 08:05 PM Re: wire diagram for switch and GFI switch combo recep [Re: MCA]
silverado2 Offline

Quote:

From your description (no need to remove the receptacle by the way) at the switch/receptacle box.
* Tie the white neutrals togather and also connect those neutrals to the "Line" silver GFCI terminal.
* Tie the blacks togather and connect those blacks to the receptacle's "Line" gold screw and also to one terminal of the single pole switch.
* Connect the red to the other terminal of the single pole switch.

That will make everything work.

Be sure to use the proper terminations and devices for the aluminum wire.

perfect thank you.

The reason I am removing the receptacle is because it is very tight in the box.

So if I go with just a switch I just tie the 2 whites together in the box, 2 blacks with a pig tail to the switch and the red to the switch. Please confirm that is correct.

Also, when I fick the switch on there is a realy tiny popping sound(can hardly hear it, but it is there), is that anything to worry about.

Thank you sooooo much again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  3phase, Ernie, FranS, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.