Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#489705 - 09/29/08 09:46 AM 12 Gal Shop Vac won't turn on...
lj4174 Offline
fanatic

Loc: Reading, PA
...is this worth pulling apart and trying to fix it. It wasn't used all that much, but I've had it a few years. Can't see a brand name on it, other 'Shop Vac' is there anything fixable on these???

#489706 - 09/29/08 09:56 AM Re: 12 Gal Shop Vac won't turn on... [Re: lj4174]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SW Michigan
ShopVac is the brand name. You could check out the switch itself... and the other wiring.

#489707 - 09/29/08 10:51 AM Re: 12 Gal Shop Vac won't turn on... [Re: mommapup.]
lj4174 Offline
fanatic

Cool, I didn't know if there was a fuse or something in there... It's kinda nasty so I didn't want to mess with it if I didn't need to...

#489708 - 09/29/08 11:05 AM Re: 12 Gal Shop Vac won't turn on... [Re: lj4174]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SW Michigan
Nasty could be the reason for the failure. Especially if you left water in there to cause oxidation of the switch and/or wires, shucks, even the motor... Don't get your hands dirty, just go buy a new one and keep the economy going. (jus'joking...)

#489709 - 09/29/08 11:26 AM Re: 12 Gal Shop Vac won't turn on... [Re: lj4174]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Illinois
Try calling Shop-Vac. I had a motor burn out and they sent me a new motor (a whole new head) free of charge, and this was a few years after I bought it.

#489710 - 09/29/08 11:42 AM Re: 12 Gal Shop Vac won't turn on... [Re: MCA]
lj4174 Offline
fanatic

Quote:

Nasty could be the reason for the failure. Especially if you left water in there to cause oxidation of the switch and/or wires, shucks, even the motor... Don't get your hands dirty, just go buy a new one and keep the economy going. (jus'joking...)

Nice... Nah, not nasty like that, just all dusty and stuff, you know, what you would expect to have on the inside of a shop vac. I don't think I've ever used it to suck up water, if I did it wasn't often or maybe once...

Quote:

Try calling Shop-Vac. I had a motor burn out and they sent me a new motor (a whole new head) free of charge, and this was a few years after I bought it.

Perhaps I'll try doing this, but I do need one ASAP. I recall this working and then the next time I used it didn't. I forget why I didn't look at it then, so I may need to just bite the bullet and buy a new one. As much as I hate doing that. Wonder if my Dad has one I can... "borrow"...

#489711 - 09/29/08 12:18 PM Re: 12 Gal Shop Vac won't turn on... [Re: lj4174]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
The switch and motor are all outside of the container - so they shouldn't ever get "nasty" themselves... Try taking the switch apart first and putting a jumper across it. You'll know right away if that's your problem.

New ones are not all that expensive anymore...

#489712 - 09/29/08 01:45 PM Re: 12 Gal Shop Vac won't turn on... [Re: CabinConnection]
rfm3 Offline
" The Duke "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Guarding the West NY Border
if you need one quickly, go buy a new one...and then work on the other one. I find more than one is handy...I keep one in the basement and another in the garage, saves lugging them in and out.

In fact I have a third one I use strictly only for water pickup..even has a handy dandy part that allows it to pump the water out.

#489713 - 09/29/08 02:05 PM Re: 12 Gal Shop Vac won't turn on... [Re: rfm3]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Ahhh yes...

A Handy Dandy Water Pumper-outer!

#489714 - 09/30/08 06:16 AM Re: 12 Gal Shop Vac won't turn on... [Re: CabinConnection]
rfm3 Offline
" The Duke "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Guarding the West NY Border
well when one has to remove water in a basement, it was handy to put the hose out the window and keep sucking up water.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.