Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (wgander, 1 invisible), 31 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#462747 - 06/10/08 01:56 PM Washing Machine Hose Replacement Frequency
gsteward Offline
journeyman

Loc: Colorado
Hi. I'm in the process of re-evaluating my homeowner's insurance and came across an article that said that you should replace the supply hoses to the washing machine every 3-5 years. I think that replacing the hoses is probably a good idea. However, shouldn't good quality hoses last longer than 5 years? Any thoughts? Thanks.

#462748 - 06/10/08 01:59 PM Re: Washing Machine Hose Replacement Frequency [Re: gsteward]
EAP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The HEARTland - Ohio
If you install the newer stainless steel braided type, they should be go-to-go forever!

Good idea to also use this type with a refer ice maker.

#462749 - 06/10/08 10:32 PM Re: Washing Machine Hose Replacement Frequency [Re: gsteward]
Nestor_Kelebay Offline
Specializing in Non-Fiction

GSteward:
Good washer supply hoses should last the life of the washing machine. However, the insurance company is speaking from a flood prevention perspective. Normally, a set of rubber supply hoses will last you many many years. However, if one of those hoses just happens to be rubbing against a piece of sharp metal behind the washing machine, the metal might cut into the hose deeply enough to cause the hose to rupture (when you're at work, say) so that you come home to a basement full of water.

The advantage of stainless steel hoses is that stainless steel is harder than the regular mild steel they make washing machine cabinets out of. So if a stainless steel washing machine hose is rubbing against a piece of sharp metal on the cabinet, it's that sharp metal that gets worn down, not the hose.

There are washing machine alarms on the market that detect a burst hose, but in my view, burst hoses are such a relatively rare occurance that simply replacing your hoses with stainless steel ones and shutting off the supply valves to your washer whenever you go on vacation or will be away from your house for an extended period of time should be sufficient to protect you from a flood.

#462750 - 06/10/08 10:35 PM Re: Washing Machine Hose Replacement Frequency [Re: gsteward]
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
Good rubber hoses should last at least 5 years. But, consider the location of the washer and what effect a broken hose would have. Cheap insurance (no pun intended) to replace rubber hoses at the 5 year interval if significant damage would occur due to a broken hose.

I encourage my customers to inspect their hoses often, looking for hernias along the hose length, especially near the fittings.

Bob.

#462751 - 06/10/08 10:38 PM Re: Washing Machine Hose Replacement Frequency [Re: RCovell]
Nestor_Kelebay Offline

RCovell:

Do you know if there's ever been an instance of a stainless steel supply hose rupturing or otherwise causing a flood?

#462752 - 06/11/08 10:48 AM Re: Washing Machine Hose Replacement Frequency [Re: gsteward]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Illinois
My insurance company recently sent me a coupon for a free set of stainless steel hoses. I guess they figure it will be cheeper to give everyone free steel hoses rather than pay for water damage claims.

#462753 - 06/11/08 08:39 PM Re: Washing Machine Hose Replacement Frequency [Re: MCA]
Nestor_Kelebay Offline

Stainless steel washer supply hoses come in various lengths; typically 4 feet, 5 feet and 7 feet.

I'd take them up on the offer. You've got nothing to loose and some peace of mind to gain.

Don't forget to put stainless steel or brass strainer washers in the hose to keep the crap in the water out of your washer's mixing valve.

Moderator:  Bob_Q, Clint_Robbins, Ernie, FranS 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.