Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (JasonB, shooter, CabinConnection, 1 invisible), 27 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#447464 - 04/03/08 02:25 PM Toilet doesn't flush consistenly
Vouty Offline

My toilet doesn't flush consistently. I do not believe that it is clogged, because if I pour a bucket of water into the bowel it will flush.

Inside the tanks seems ok. Is it possible that something is dirty that is preventing the water from flowing out of the tank fast enough (just a guess)?

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do without taking the toilet out or calling a plumber?

Thanks.

#447465 - 04/03/08 04:56 PM Re: Toilet doesn't flush consistenly [Re: Vouty]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
Need more info. Old 3 1/2 gal toilet, newer 1.6 gal toilet, etc??? On any toilet, check that the tank water level is at the mark in the tank(back wall of the tank, a line or decal). On an older 3+ gal toilet, the siphon jets could be clogged with calcium deposits. Drain most of the water from the bowl and fill with CLR or similar to dissolve the deposits(let sit overnight). Scraping around the siphon jet opening also helps. Those deposits also develop up in the bowl elbow. This can also happen with newer toilets. If you happen to have a 1.6 gal toilet that was new when the new law was passed(about 1995-1998), junk it, it will never work right.

#447466 - 04/03/08 05:19 PM Re: Toilet doesn't flush consistenly [Re: Just_Bill]
Vouty Offline

It's an older toilet so I guess it's 3.5 gallon. I am sorry but where are the siphon jets? The water level is fine. I replaced the components in the tank about 2 years ago and they seem to be working fine.

Thank you for your help.

#447467 - 04/03/08 07:30 PM Re: Toilet doesn't flush consistenly [Re: Vouty]
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
There's both a siphon jet hole and rim holes that can get clogged from hard water deposits. This link shows the anatomy of the bowl.

This page explains how using a stiff wire and a mirror can help in cleaning them out. A skinny coat hanger may even work for you. Just be careful not to scratch the porcelyn too much.

Here's more help that explains soaking the area with vinegar will loosen the stuff up some. Let us know how it goes.

#447468 - 04/03/08 07:48 PM Re: Toilet doesn't flush consistenly [Re: Vouty]
Spackelman Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Exit 117, Garden State Parkway...
Whats a little confusing, is you say "doesn't flush consistently".

Does that mean that #2 don't flush and the #1 does.

On many occasions I have fixed similar problems by cleaning the siphon jet as Dora describes.

Build-up from calcium will restrict the flow or "whooosh" of the flush. A stiff wire will clear deposits in the siphon jet hole. Use it on the rim holes also.

You should consider a new toilet if it is the older 3+ gal type.

#447469 - 04/03/08 10:24 PM Re: Toilet doesn't flush consistenly [Re: Vouty]
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
Had a similar problem about 10 days ago at a friends house. I used a piece of leftover copper wire from my electrical box to clean the rim jets, which seemed fine.

Checked the siphon jet and it was almost completely blocked! Used a short screwdriver to ream out the hole and my friend reports that consistent flushing action has returned.

Bob.

#447470 - 04/04/08 09:06 AM Re: Toilet doesn't flush consistenly [Re: Vouty]
Vouty Offline

Thank you for your responses. I will clean it this weekend.

Is it possilbe that I don't have a siphon hole in the bottom? I am at work now, but I don't recall seeing one.

Thanks again.

#447471 - 04/04/08 09:37 AM Re: Toilet doesn't flush consistenly [Re: Vouty]
grizzly Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: penna.
Quote:

Thank you for your responses. I will clean it this weekend.

Is it possilbe that I don't have a siphon hole in the bottom? I am at work now, but I don't recall seeing one.

Thanks again.

yes it is possible. but you should certainly have the holes under the rim. what i have done in the past, with excellent results, is dry underneath the rim then tape the holes with duct tape. then i pour vinegar full strength in to the overflow pipe located in the tank. do this when the toilet won't be used for a while, like overnight if possible. then take off the tape and flush a couple of times. this should dissolve most of the deposits clogging the rim holes. hth

steve

#447472 - 04/04/08 09:44 AM Re: Toilet doesn't flush consistenly [Re: grizzly]
Vouty Offline

Great! I will thanks!

#447473 - 04/04/08 12:28 PM Re: Toilet doesn't flush consistenly [Re: Vouty]
EAP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The HEARTland - Ohio
Some toilet bowl cleaning tabs that people place in the tank also contribute to clogs. They dissolve in the tank only to reconstitute themself in the jet streams thereby clogging the waterflow to the bowl.

Stay away from them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob_Q, Clint_Robbins, Ernie, FranS 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.