Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 62 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#387921 - 07/16/07 09:45 PM manure shredder
shmo Offline

i have been reading alot on composting, and my best redily availble resource is horse manure. virtually unlimited. the problem is the "apples". its like raking charcoal briquettes! i was thinking of getting a wood chipper, and running it through. good idea? any other better ones?

thanks

Edited by shmo (07/16/07 10:53 PM)

#387922 - 07/16/07 09:56 PM Re: manure shredder [Re: shmo]
morrisdancer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Michigan
Welcome to Handyman's Shmo and lucky you for having a manure supply!

If you're "picking apples" , instead of using a rake, get a "manure fork" or a "mulch fork", which looks like a pitchfork only the tines are about 1 1/2 inches apart and it's much sturdier than a rake. You can also "scoop the poop" with this, depending on the shape of the pile. OR use a square point shovel (what I use) and scoop the poop

Fran should pop (poop?) in with some suggestions because she has the same lucky circumstances you do. Looking forward to hearing her ideas!

Liz

#387923 - 07/16/07 10:14 PM Re: manure shredder [Re: morrisdancer]
shmo Offline

thanks for the response (quick too)

but i'm afraid i don't understand. does this fork help break up the apples? that is my problem, i need to get the apples broken up to spread them. i'm gonna try to cover my entire yard (about an acre) with 1-2 inches of manure. and maybe every year.the soil is kinda bad, and it helps my mom out if i get rid of the poop for her. it doesn't seem to compost fast enough as apples, and it's piling up!

#387924 - 07/16/07 10:45 PM Re: manure shredder [Re: shmo]
morrisdancer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ooooh, OK, I thought you were using it in a compost pile! My Sister (my "supplier") rented or borrowed some sort of manure spreader that attached on the back of her rider mower that I *think* broke the "apples" up when she spread it on her yard. I'll ask her about it tomorrow if she's home

Liz

#387925 - 07/18/07 01:43 PM Re: manure shredder [Re: shmo]
FranS Offline
Carpal Tunnel

the apples do take longer, but no biggie. if ur spreading by hand, then break them up urself (you can wear gloves) i wouldn't run them, when green/wet, thru the mower, prolly just clog it up, like wet grass does.

#387926 - 07/18/07 06:46 PM Re: manure shredder [Re: shmo]
jigs Offline
veteran

Loc: New York
Quote:

i'm gonna try to cover my entire yard (about an acre) with 1-2 inches of manure. and maybe every year.the soil is kinda bad

Unless your mom owns Belmont Race track, your talking about 7-8,000 cu. ft.of manure. But before you start this project, you should take a soil sample and have in analyzed. "Bad" soil can mean a lot of things, and dumping tons of fertilizer on it without assessing what's really needed is a waste of time and irresponsible - nutrients can leach into nearby waterways and ground water and pollute.
Horse manure is not mulch and much more than just raw organic matter.
If the soil needs more organic matter, you might be advised to plant green crops and rototill them into the soil until you achieve the balance you need, but you need the analysis first.

#387927 - 07/18/07 08:40 PM Re: manure shredder [Re: jigs]
shmo Offline

i had not thought of that, i guess i didn't think it was any different than a farmer tilling it under.

where do i get an analysis done?

#387928 - 07/18/07 08:56 PM Re: manure shredder [Re: shmo]
morrisdancer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For an analysis, if there is a Coop-Extension near you, give them a call. Our local Nursery/Lawn mower repair place does soil analysis (and closer than our Coop-extension)

Liz

Moderator:  Tindelwood, CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.