Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (twoshoes, 1 invisible), 65 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#362412 - 04/01/07 03:00 PM Determining age of Vintage Philco Refrigerator
zukev Offline
Handyman

Loc: Fort Collins, Co.
I just picked up a vintage Philco refrigerator. It has all of the serial numbers and model numbers on it. It looks to be around late 40's to early 50's - my guess.
Any ideas on how to determine this accurately using these numbers?
Thanks!
Kev

Edited by zukev (04/01/07 03:01 PM)

#362413 - 04/01/07 06:46 PM Re: Determining age of Vintage Philco Refrigerator [Re: zukev]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

Some restoration web sites that may be able to help.

jeff.

#362414 - 04/03/07 04:19 AM Re: Determining age of Vintage Philco Refrigerator [Re: jeff1]
zukev Offline
Handyman

Thanks Jeff, but no luck there.
Also - the guy I picked it up from claimed it worked. When I got it home I waited 24 hrs. to plug in. Nothing. Not even a hum from the compressor. What is wrong? No power to it? Bad compressor? Seems I would still hear it humming or something, huh?
Help the Kevster here!

#362415 - 04/03/07 05:52 AM Re: Determining age of Vintage Philco Refrigerator [Re: zukev]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

When I got it home I waited 24 hrs. to plug in. Nothing. Not even a hum from the compressor.

Light works?
Maybe a wire got knocked off or loose from the move?
Open cold control would allow the light to work but the compressor would be dead.

Quote:

Bad compressor? Seems I would still hear it humming or something, huh?

A compressor can run and be bad, click on and off and be bad, sit there dead and be bad...power to the compressor but no go would indicate a compressor problem.

jeff.

#362416 - 04/04/07 03:46 AM Re: Determining age of Vintage Philco Refrigerator [Re: jeff1]
zukev Offline
Handyman

Upon further investigation, the power cord and the cord going to the freezer are (I presume this is the thermostat cord) are shot. Totally dry rotted and wires showing. I sketched out where these wires run and then removed them. I am going to rewire and see what I got after that. No wires were disconnected though so I hope that something didn't short out and burn up anything. We'll see after I rewire. It's a cool little fridge. I hope I can get it up and running again.
Hey, if the compressor is shot, how much do you think it'd cost to replace? Can I use something modern and how difficult of a job would this be?
Thanks!
Kev

#362417 - 04/04/07 06:07 AM Re: Determining age of Vintage Philco Refrigerator [Re: zukev]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

I am going to rewire and see what I got after that.

Let us know what happens.

Quote:

if the compressor is shot, how much do you think it'd cost to replace?

No clue as to it's style/mounting or such...but a modern refrigerator compressor change is 350-450 dollars.

Quote:

Can I use something modern and how difficult of a job would this be?

Probably....lots of special tools needed.

jeff.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.