Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#348740 - 02/04/07 01:34 PM Wiring a salvaged washing machine motor
christopher45103 Offline
journeyman

While walking my dog in some woods I came across a dumped top loading washing machine. Thinking that I might be able to salvage the motor (they rarely go bad) to build a buffer or bench grinder, I returned a week later with some tools. Having some experience with appliance repairs, I had the motor removed from the machine in just a few minutes. There was a wiring harness plugged into the motor which I also salvaged, along with what looks like a large capacitor.

I've tried a number of wiring combinations but can't get it to run. This is a GE 1/2 hp motor and I suspect it is a 2-speed motor and possibly reversible. I did not take notice of the make and model of the washing machine. I'll give the rundown on the wiring harness and maybe someone will have a suggestion about how to wire it up. Note that I have tried to find a schematic on line with no luck, and if I strike out here I will have to return to the woods to open the control panel in hopes of finding a wiring diagram.

7 wires connect to the motor with a single plug. Wires 1, 2, and 3 are grouped together. These wires are orange, purple, and yellow but I don't remember the specific order off hand. Blank space then wires 4 and 5 grouped together with number 4 as the ground, 5 is a white wire and I suspect is the neutral. Blank space then 6 and 7 are grouped together. 6 is blue, 7 is red and is wired thru what looks like a large capacitor.

Thanks in advance,
Christopher

#348741 - 02/05/07 06:24 AM Re: Wiring a salvaged washing machine motor [Re: christopher45103]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

Quote:

5 is a white wire and I suspect is the neutral

Probably not.

Sounds like a plastic tub GE washer....

jeff.

#348742 - 02/05/07 10:03 AM Re: Wiring a salvaged washing machine motor [Re: jeff1]
christopher45103 Offline
journeyman

Jeff,

Thanks for your response. The wiring harness you show is exactly what I have.

While I have most of the schematic figured out (the numbers M1, M2, etc. match up with the colors of the wires) I am still somewhat confused by the number of other relays in the circuit. In order to run at either speed it seems like I would have to jumper at least one pair of wires.

If you are able to figure it out, could you please give me some directions as to how to wire it up for either speed? Something like, M1 neutral, hot to M6 and M7, jumper M2 to M3 to run at high speed. I know the outboard capacitor would fit in somehow as well. Don't worry, I'll be carefull.

Thanks,
Christopher

#348743 - 02/06/07 09:12 PM Re: Wiring a salvaged washing machine motor [Re: christopher45103]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Thinking that I might be able to salvage the motor (they rarely go bad) to build a buffer or bench grinder

There are much easier motors to use!
A belt drive Whirlpool washer motor uses no start relay and only has 3 wires. A Maytag dependable care motor motor is reversable and the 1 speed motor has 5 wires and the two speed motor has 6 and is very easy to wire up campared to this GE washer motor.

L - M7 & M6
N - M3 & M1
Should run high speed....reversing M7 and M3 should start the motor in the other dfirection.
Not all of these motors used a start cap, the diagram that I have doesn't show one.

jeff.

#348744 - 02/08/07 05:27 AM Re: Wiring a salvaged washing machine motor [Re: jeff1]
christopher45103 Offline
journeyman

Thanks Jeff. That got it running.

While I am sure there are easier motors to use, this one was free. Had there been two washing machines dumped in the woods and one had a motor with only two wiring connections, I would have salvaged that one. However, that was not the case.

Christopher

#348745 - 02/08/07 05:59 AM Re: Wiring a salvaged washing machine motor [Re: christopher45103]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

That got it running

Great

jeff.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.