Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#34067 - 06/04/03 05:17 AM Squealing Shower head
menichcr Offline

Loc: Allentown
While taking a shower in our house the shower head squeals like crazy with Hot water. I switched the heads with another bathroom, and it squeals even more. I tried using CLR to clean out the head, but with the same results. Any I idea how to make it stop squealing? It is just an every day shower head nothing fancy.

#34068 - 06/04/03 06:49 AM Re: Squealing Shower head
vid Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Mad City
Is this a stand alone shower or part of a tub/shower combo? If its a combo, check to see if water is coming out of the tub spout when you divert the water to the shower head. If water still comes out of the tub spout it probably is bad and you'll need to replace it.

#34069 - 06/04/03 07:26 AM Re: Squealing Shower head
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
Your shower head may also have one of those water saver devices in it, they will sometimes make it squeel also. Take off the head and in the end of it you would see a plastic tab sticking out, remove this insert and re-attach your head.

#34070 - 06/04/03 07:33 AM Re: Squealing Shower head
xmy556a Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Québec, Canada
The shower head probably comes apart somehow. Do that and clean and replace everything that looks worn or defective. You could probably even remove the flow-reducer, which may be the screecher in your case.
Worse case, as Vid said, replace it.

#34071 - 06/04/03 08:26 AM Re: Squealing Shower head
menichcr Offline

Loc: Allentown
I have already cleaned out the fixtures, and I get no water flow out of the tub once I pull the diverter. I will attempt to see if I can find some sort of water restricter inside. Thanks

#34072 - 06/04/03 11:04 AM Re: Squealing Shower head
jazzman Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Qc, Canada
Had a similar problem. What I did was, although no water was coming out of the spout when I pulled the diverter, as the shower was on I would pull the diverter a little harder and turn the little diverter handle back and forth until the noise disappeared. Seemed to have something in there that made it squeal. Anyways, no more squealing since then, it's been about 5 years now. Maybe you should give it a try...who knows!

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.