Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (Able_Dog, yardmaster, 1 invisible), 42 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#337576 - 12/26/06 09:48 AM Emerson Ceiling Fan - wiring question
jcbii Offline

Hi, I am trying to install an Emerson Ceiling Fan (model # CF759BS) using a dimmer switch instead of the remote control it came with (which is broken). Dimmer switch (sliding switches) has one switch for fan, and the other is for the light. The question I have is about the wiring for the lights. The upper and lower lights were controlled by the remote, which I want to get rid of. So I now have a blue wire for the lower light, and a green wire for the upper lights - which originally were wired to the receiver unit (model# UC7067RC) that I want to discard. Can I just connect these two wires directly to the white or black AC wires coming from the junction box? I hate remote controls (because they break too often), so would just like to have this fan hard-wired to the switch.

I have not been able to get any response from Emerson with regard to my question, so any advice here would be appreciated. I'd hate to toss this fan, because it really is a nice unit (and was expensive too).

Thanks,
JC

#337577 - 12/26/06 05:58 PM Re: Emerson Ceiling Fan - wiring question [Re: jcbii]
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
Green wire is always ground unless someone has modified the fan. What was it attached to in the original setup?
Were the upper and lower lights controlled separately?

The blue wire should be the one for the lights. The white wire should be common with the fan.

#337578 - 12/26/06 07:29 PM Re: Emerson Ceiling Fan - wiring question [Re: jcbii]
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
JC-Welcome to the Forum.

If you have two sets of lights on separate wires, which is what it sounds like, then, the old feed wire from each set would tie together and connect to the incoming hot wire from your switch. But, as jdevlin says, green wires usually denote a ground wire and must not be connected to anything but a ground wire. Were the two tiers of lights controlled separately before?

It's not good practice to wire a fan on a dimmer switch unless the fan and switch were designed to work together. A dimmer switch on a 'regular' 3 speed fan can cause overheating and noise problems.

Bob.

#337579 - 12/26/06 11:01 PM Re: Emerson Ceiling Fan - wiring question [Re: RCovell]
jcbii Offline

JDevlin & Bob, thanks for the replies. The minute you said the green wire goes to ground, I knew my color blindness was most likely the problem. I asked my wife to look at the "green" wire, and she said it is orange. This was confirmed by the instructions that I actually still had and was able to find this evening. Sorry about that. The orange wire has a label on it from the factory that says "Upper Lights". Yes, both of these wires were controlled separately by the remote control provided by Emerson.

As far as ceiling fans not working with dimmer switches go, maybe I am giving incorrect information on that as well. The switches I am referring to are sliding switches - one labeled "Fan" and the other labeled "Light". I am referring to these as dimmer switches, but maybe that's not correct? Anyway, all of the fans in my house are operated by these switches, except for the one fan in my master bedroom.

Here is a scan of the diagram from the installation manual that came with the Emerson Fan.

Looking at the diagram, is there anyway to re-wire this so I can eliminate the remote receiver? Again, thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

#337580 - 12/26/06 11:04 PM Re: Emerson Ceiling Fan - wiring question [Re: jcbii]
jcbii Offline

Some additional information. The white wire is labeled "To Motor N", and the red wire is labeled "To Motor L". What does the "N" and "L" mean?

#337581 - 12/27/06 04:56 AM Re: Emerson Ceiling Fan - wiring question [Re: jcbii]
Redogs54 Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Based on the diagram, you may use the new dual slide speed control / dimmer ONLY if the wire running to the fan is of the 3-wire variety. That is to say you must have a black, red, white and green/bare copper in the ceiling box originating at the switch. If this is the case you would connect the red wire to the blue/orange (both lights), the black wire to the black wire to the fan, the white wire to the white wire to the fan and the green/bare copper to the green wire. If you do not have a 3-wire running to the fan box from the switch box you must use a remote control system in order to control the fan and light seperatly. In the switch box you would connect the white wires together, the black wire to the lead indicated as the fan control, the red wire to the lead indicated for the lighting and all of the grounds together. Please be sure to turn the power off at the breaker prior to doing any work on the switch or fan. Hope this helps.

#337582 - 12/27/06 07:14 AM Re: Emerson Ceiling Fan - wiring question [Re: jcbii]
3phase Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Licensed Electrical Contractor...
The "L" stands for Line or the hot wire. The "N" stands for Neutral or the white wire.

#337583 - 12/29/06 06:16 PM Re: Emerson Ceiling Fan - wiring question [Re: 3phase]
jcbii Offline

Hey all,

Thanks for the additional information. I was out of town these past few days, so sorry for the delayed response. I am going to wire up the fan as per the instructions given here and see if it works. I believe it is a 3-wire setup coming from the switch. Also, I appreciate the additional information regarding the "N" and "L" - now I know how to hook up those wires.

#337584 - 01/31/07 02:16 PM Re: Emerson Ceiling Fan - wiring question [Re: jcbii]
jcbii Offline

I have another problem that has come up with the Emerson fan I installed in my son's room. I'm surprised I never noticed it, but the fan is running in reverse. This was the diretion it was actually running in when the remote control (which I have now removed) broke and no longer functioned. But I thought that once you hard-wired the fan without the remote, it would go back to spinning in the direction that would force air downward. Apparently, this fan has "remembered" it's last direction from the remote, and forces the air upwards. There is no "reverse" switch on this fan, but I'm wondering if there is something that can be done to get it to rotate so that it blows air down. I guess the only other solution would be to give up and buy a new remote receiver and transmitter again so I can control the direction of airflow.

Anyway, if there are any suggestions, I'd be willing to try them. I could even take the housing apart (the one below the fan, but above the light) to see if there is some kind of internal switch I can mess with.

#337585 - 02/01/07 10:40 AM Re: Emerson Ceiling Fan - wiring question [Re: jcbii]
3phase Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Licensed Electrical Contractor...
Most of the fans I have seen had a reverse switch on the outside. So I am kind of guessing here but from my industrial background I'd say the remote must have operated a relay inside the fan that controlled the direction. Short of getting another remote it might be hard to change the direction, not having a diagram or seeing the fan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.