Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (e_a_g_l_e_p_i), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#31053 - 05/06/03 02:07 PM Is Romex Safe???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just bought a house in Burbank California. I was told during my home inspection that the wiring that was added when the previous owner installed lights in the ceiling, was Romex and not in conduit. I was told Romex is not legal in the city of Burbank and received an estimate for almost $1,000 to replace it. After spending so much $$$ on buying the house, I would hate to have to spend any more right now. My question is: Is Romex safe???

#31054 - 05/06/03 03:26 PM Re: Is Romex Safe???
FranS Offline
Carpal Tunnel

it's as safe as anything else and is used all over the place. it's legal all over the place, just not in Burbank. (i'm also in CA)
he may have meant it was illegal when not in conduit. double check with him. if all the wires are visible and straight forward, you are comfortable around electricity, and you have to change it out, you can probably do it yourself

#31055 - 05/06/03 03:38 PM Re: Is Romex Safe???
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
Call your city's engineering department and ask to speak to an inspector and ask them what the code is regarding the use of romex ror remodeling. I know in most parts of the state of Illinois that all wiring must be run in conduit, even a small city within 10 miles of me doesn't allow Romex for wiring, it must be in conduit, yet I can use.

It's wierd, but there's all sorts of little local codes that dictate it at times.

#31056 - 05/07/03 07:36 AM Re: Is Romex Safe???
3phase Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Licensed Electrical Contractor...
Ca has some strange code rules, not meaning to offend the Ca people. When you talk to the inspector ask if MC is allowed, it is a metal-clad cable that is easier to use than conduit and if you are up to it could be a DIY job.

Edited by 3phase (05/07/03 07:36 AM)

#31057 - 05/07/03 10:01 PM Re: Is Romex Safe???
Bob_Fleming Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ft Collins, CO USA
It is a city-local issue in So CA. Here we can use Romex, and I consider it perfectly safe. In some beach area cities they want conduit, etc, etc. I believe Burbank and Pasadena require conduit, but ask if there are alternates.
Also, are you being told that you MUST bring it up to present code or that it would be nice if you did. For that matter, if it MUST be brought up to present code, it is the seller's responsibility to do this for you.
But is it safe? Absolutely!

#31058 - 05/08/03 07:14 AM Re: Is Romex Safe???
3phase Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Licensed Electrical Contractor...
Sorry, did not mean to imply Romex is unsafe, it is absolutely safe! Just trying to come up with some easier methods than having to use Conduit. By the way some of you CA people, is Thinwall (EMT)conduit allowed or must it be Rigid conduit?

#31059 - 05/08/03 09:16 AM Re: Is Romex Safe???
Anonymous
Unregistered

After checking with the city and my real estate agent, whom also lives in Burbank, It turns out it is not to code. If I lived a few blocks away in the next city over, no problem.
This looks like another case of silly codes and laws.
Anyway, Just a few of the lights were wired with Romex. It is run up in the attic, so access is easy if I decide to change it. Since it is safe (I also checked with an electrician friend), I will just leave it for now. In case somebody from the City reads these posts, What I meant was, I will change it right away .

#31060 - 05/08/03 09:38 AM Re: Is Romex Safe???
FranS Offline
Carpal Tunnel

hahahaha. just remember that if you sell, you need to fix.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.