Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 238 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#305610 - 08/23/06 09:39 PM Fluidmaster slow refill
wupot2001 Offline

All of a sudden our toilet after flushing refills very slowly. I checke the FM website and it said to either change the washer on top or check the waster supply line for a blockage. I did both and neither worked. Any ideas?

The toilet works fine, it just fills slow.

#305611 - 08/23/06 10:03 PM Re: Fluidmaster slow refill [Re: wupot2001]
Clint_Robbins Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Akron, OH
If you have a supply valve below the tank, try closing and opening the valve. If that doesn't work, the washer might be loose and, if so, repair or replace the valve.

#305612 - 08/24/06 12:50 AM Re: Fluidmaster slow refill [Re: wupot2001]
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
If you have the model 400 Fluidmaster ( the black and gray one) the usual fix is to replace the seal in the top. However, I've found in a number of cases that replacing the seal didn't work. I usually go through the sequence of checking everything else only to end up replacing the valve itself.

A plumber recently told me there is some kind of 'piece' inside the newer Fluidmasters that goes bad, requiring valve replacement. My experience is that that statement makes sense, but, I haven't been able to 'prove' it. I usually don't fight it and just replace the valve, just what Fluidmaster wants me to do. Planned obsolescence comes to mind.

If you want to buy a new valve and install it the quick and easy way, do this: Turn off the water to the toilet. Take off the top end (the black cap and the seal). About halfway down the stem or neck, you'll see a plastic ring. Slide that ring up which will allow you to pull the whole top half of the fill valve off, leaving the base unit. (Look at your new valve to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.) Take your new valve apart, leaving only the base part. Slide the top section over the old, still in the toilet part and slide the lock ring down into place. Adjust the height of the valve, connect the refill tube and turn on the water. Adjust the water level.

This procedure gives you the guts of a new fill valve without having to sponge out the tank and mess with the waterline connections. It will take 2 or 3 minutes to change.

Bob.

#305613 - 08/25/06 12:44 AM Re: Fluidmaster slow refill [Re: RCovell]
Bob_Fleming Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ft Collins, CO USA
That is a neat way to replace a FluidMaster, Bob. Never tried it but will next time.

#305614 - 08/25/06 07:29 AM Re: Fluidmaster slow refill [Re: wupot2001]
bilvihur Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Hudson Valley, New York
With the older Fluidmaster valves (washer in the base), it was possible to fix a fill/leak problem by cleaning/replacing the washer. With the newer 400 Series (washer on top), replacing the washer nevers seems to do anything. Since, as Bob says, you can leave the base in place, and just replace the upper valve assembly, what do you think the chances are of Fluidmaster selling it separately? Better yet, why not address the quality control issues with their valves, and save us all the aggravation!

#305615 - 08/25/06 07:38 AM Re: Fluidmaster slow refill [Re: RCovell]
Ernie Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern CA
And thank you Bob for sharing that..
Sounds like something that may come in real...handy``

#305616 - 08/25/06 08:12 AM Re: Fluidmaster slow refill [Re: wupot2001]
kuhurdler Offline
journeyman

Loc: Olathe, KS
Just FYI, I had a slow filling toilet that I replaced darn near everything on. I finally found the culprit to be the shut-off valve feeding the toilet. It had gunked up with mineral deposits. I replaced it with a quarter-turn valve, and the toilet went from filling in ~3 minutes to about 45 seconds.

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.