Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (Able_Dog, nicki1, 2 invisible), 55 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#28891 - 04/17/03 03:56 PM 50 or 60 amp plug & receptacle at 240 volt
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can find a 50 amp 240 volt single phase plug & receptacle (6-50R & 6-50P) which is a 2 pole 3 wire grounding. I need a similar plug & receptacle but rated at 60 amps. I can't find a 2 pole 3 wire grounding version, but I do see a 3 pole 4 wire grounding plug & receptacle (14-60R & 14-60P).
I assume this is used for 3 phase. Can I use that and just not wire up one of the poles? Or is there 2 pole 3 wire grounding plug & recetacle rated at 60 amps that I'm not finding?

#28892 - 04/17/03 04:27 PM Re: 50 or 60 amp plug & receptacle at 240 volt
Pat_McBride Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Do you want locking or non-locking?

For non-locking you need a 3-phase receptacle; for locking, which is probably the better choice, use a L6-60P and L6-60R.

My Code book, which is Canadian by the way, doesn't show a 60 Amp straight plug and receptacle either; probably because the 50 amp set is used for a range.

I'd go with the locking receptacle: because 60 Amps is a lot to break under load, and this can happen if the plug is accidentally removed under load. Ranges - most people turn them off before moving; 60 amp machines, such as welders, well maybe not - mistakes happen.

Hubbell makes some exotic 50, 60, and 100 Amp plugs and receptacles; because they're for special applications they're quite expensive.

And I'd be very careful about using a 3-phase plug. If somebody plugged in a 3-phase piece of equipment by mistake, and tried to energize it, you could blow the breaker and maybe even damage the equipment. 3-phase equipment just doesn't like 1-phase supplies; motors hum, whine, sniffle, and don't do anything but heat up and destroy themselves; process equipment generally tends to blow the breaker if it doesn't blow up first.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.