Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#284700 - 06/10/06 09:54 PM Cast Iron Toilet Flange - rusted thru - need to remove/replace
spg3006jhp Offline

Loc: GA, United States of America
Friends, I am replacing a circa 1975 toilet that is mounted on a cast iron stack with the iron toilet flange. When I pulled the old toilet up the old bolts were just a thread of rusty goop... nothing really there holding it down. THe flange has rusted thru at the slots where the closet bolts should slide in. I have tried to remove the ring and I am stuck. I can see the two straight sloted wood screws that hold the ring down. I am sure they must screw down into the subfloor. When I use a large screw driver to attempt to turn the screws out they just twist apart and strip at the slot. Do you have any suggestions to get the flange freed? I think my subfloor is cement board/blue board on top of plywoord(not sure!). Much appreciation for any guidance you provide.

-ML (PS - the house was built in 1975 and the toilet is original from the builder.)

#284701 - 06/10/06 10:45 PM Re: Cast Iron Toilet Flange - rusted thru - need to remove/replace [Re: spg3006jhp]
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
Seems to me you have two choices. One is to remove the old cast iron flange, possibly by tearing things up to get the old screws out and breaking the connection to the soil pipe or cleaning up what you can and simply adding a steel ring on top of the cast iron. The steel ring is fastened with screws to the floor and has built in keyhole slots for the toilet bolts. This assumes you have solid subfloor to hold the new screws. If you've stopped the source of water that caused the rust in the first place, the steel should be OK. If everything goes well, the new ring should work just fine. Bob.

#284702 - 06/11/06 06:43 AM Re: Cast Iron Toilet Flange - rusted thru - need to remove/replace [Re: RCovell]
Dennis_H_N.J. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Toms River, N.J.
Yep.. Bob is right... Its called a toilet flange repair ring!!!

#284703 - 07/17/06 11:24 AM Re: Cast Iron Toilet Flange - rusted thru - need t [Re: RCovell]
spg3006jhp Offline

Loc: GA, United States of America
Thanks for the feedback. The day after I posted this entry I found a flange repair kit at the local Ace. It was a two piece part that slipped under the old rusty ring. The kit worked great! The new toilet installed just as directed once I had that resolved. This was just one of many unplanned issues I had to deal with to get my bathroom remodel done. Now I know what to expect for next summer's project in the other bath. Thanks again. I like this board a lot ! -MD

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.