Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#280256 - 05/26/06 06:38 PM AC/furnace not working...thermostat?
wendyjane Offline
journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
Another question about my cursed house...now 3 years old, which we are trying to sell. Things like to break an hour or two before showings, which is what happened today.

The AC unit, which in the first year we had LOTS of problems with (approx. 8 service calls), has been running fine for a while now. Today is was getting warm in the house, so we turned on the AC (which we have been doing off and on for the past month or so). It got cool for awhile, and then I noticed it still seemed warm in the house. Sure enough, it had stopped running.

So my husband went to the thermostat (White-Rodgers Type No. 1F80-261) and tried to turn on the furnace, and that is not working either. It still clicks when you press the buttons or move the switch from heat/off/cool, but nothing happens.

I called a heating/AC place for service (no appointments available today) but the girl on the phone said it sounds like the thermostat. Before I call for a weekend appt. and get charged "premium rate" since it is the holiday, I would love to just go pick up a new thermostat and switch it out, but know better than to try something before checking with the pros here!

Does it sound like a bad thermostat, or something more? Thanks for any thoughts you all may have on this!

Wendy

#280257 - 05/26/06 06:49 PM Re: AC/furnace not working...thermostat? [Re: wendyjane]
HeatPro Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: South New Jersey
A click tells you that there is power to the part that clicks, so the power is on. The fact something clicks also tells you that the wires to whatever clicks and the part that clicks is OK as the power gets through the thermostat to make it click.

This indicates that something other than the thermostat and its wiring is less likely to be the cause. As a thermostat is a visible representative of the heating or cooling machine, the hope is that changing representatives will fix the actual problems, which can result in the same problems continuing forever as you elect new representatives. You have the same probability of fix.
http://www.heatpro.us/service/xtstat.htm

Not knowing the KIND, MAKE and MODEL of the HVAC units, I'm incliined to think that you have an electric furnace and a central air conditioner, both of which will run on 240 volts, so that losing one leg of power at the breaker can stop both at the same time, but the remaining leg of 115 volts can run the transformer. You might start by turning the double breakers off at the power panel and then on.
http://www.heatpro.us/service/serviceform.html

#280258 - 05/26/06 07:28 PM Re: AC/furnace not working...thermostat? [Re: HeatPro]
wendyjane Offline
journeyman

Sorry HeatPro, in my haste to get this posted (the heat is getting to me!) I forgot to mention that we tried the breakers -- no luck.

We have central air - outside unit (condenser?) is a Concord model CCU10A42A-1, gas furnace Concord 90 plus High Efficiency, model #CG90UA100D16C-1A, and evaporator SA7414 model C2E46C (that's all the info I could find on that).

Should mention that the guy who did all the electrical in the house and the heating/AC was not a trained electrician (of course their aren't many requirements for that here in Indiana, and our builder always went with the lowest price and quality possible) which is why the first call we placed when this happened was to our "personal electrician" as we call him (a Master Electrician trained on the East Coast) because he has been to our house so many times repairing the crappy, and sometimes dangerous, work the original guy did. Unfortunately for us, he is probably already out enjoying his holiday weekend!

#280259 - 05/26/06 07:43 PM Re: AC/furnace not working...thermostat? [Re: wendyjane]
HeatPro Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: South New Jersey
Even knowing the models, when something UNIDENTIFIED clicks, there is power to the transformer and the thermostat does something to connect.

There is more likely something that is in common with the furnace AND the AC, like one 120 volt line out of two that lost connection.

#280260 - 05/26/06 07:57 PM Re: AC/furnace not working...thermostat? [Re: HeatPro]
wendyjane Offline
journeyman

Thanks for the quick replies, Heat Pro, and your usual expert advice! Sounds like another call to our electrician is in order, and a hot weekend ahead waiting for his return. I just knew it wasn't going to be as easy as replacing the thermostat.

Wendy

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.