Handyman Wire

Who's Online
7 registered (twoshoes, CabinConnection, Able_Dog, e_a_g_l_e_p_i, Rich_P, Clint_Robbins, 1 invisible), 40 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#276755 - 05/12/06 10:17 AM Kenmore refrigerator leak
golfluvr Offline

Loc: LA
I have a Kenmore refrigerator Mod. # 106.78182891 with freezer on top. It recently began to leak from the freezer area in to the refrigerator section. It appears to have 2x2" square areas lined with Styrofoam cut out of the ceiling area on either side of the control box. I suspect it has something to do with the defrosting cycle. Where should this water be going and how can I get it back on its correct path?? Thanks so much, Debi

#276756 - 05/12/06 03:26 PM Re: Kenmore refrigerator leak [Re: golfluvr]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

Quote:

It recently began to leak from the freezer area in to the refrigerator section

Plugged or restricted defrost drain might be suspect.

Quote:

Where should this water be going

Drips from cooling coils in the freezer to a pan under the coolign coils, goes inbetween the walls from there and down a hose to the back bottom and ends up in a pan under the refrigerator where the heat evaporates the defrost water.

Quote:

how can I get it back on its correct path??

Probably remove panals in the freezer and remove any ice and flush out the drain system.
A turkey baster often helps to blast some hot water down the drain.

jeff.

#276757 - 05/13/06 11:40 AM Re: Kenmore refrigerator leak [Re: jeff1]
golfluvr Offline

Loc: LA
Jeff,

I cannot express enough WOWs!!!! Evidently when Katrina shut off power for 4 days, the tube became blocked when power came back on. When I lifted the panel there was a sheet of ice about 1/4 inch thick covering almost the whole surface. I had no idea it was there. When the heater defrosted the freezer, the water had no place to go.

I tried using the blow dryer first and it just would not finish it off. I finally used the turkey baster with hot water and the results were immediate!! I also took the opportunity to unbutton everything and give it a thorough cleaning. Boy did it need it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!! I will be singing your praises for a long time, and that of this site!! Do you have any idea how much money you just saved me??? I suppose you do. Thanks again.

#276758 - 05/13/06 01:37 PM Re: Kenmore refrigerator leak [Re: golfluvr]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
I am happy we could help!

jeff.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.