Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 14 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#267724 - 04/15/06 02:38 PM ok to splice/junction 8 gauge wire?
mtofell Offline
Handyman

I am hoping to use the cable that is to my kitchen (For an electric range that I will never use) for a hot tub. The wire type/size is the same but I am not sure if it is long enough to go to the hot tub location. Is it okay to junction larger gauge wires together in the same manner as 12 and 14 gauge? Are there special connectors that are used? Thanks for any advice.

#267725 - 04/15/06 03:22 PM Re: ok to splice/junction 8 gauge wire? [Re: mtofell]
Eian Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Denver, Colorado
I wouldnt splice aluminum cables on my own, but if you're just dealing with copper, some split-bolts and self-fusing rubber tape will give excellent results. It is best to torque those connections down as tight as you can get them, and go thick on the rubber tape. and I would use a 4 1/2" steel box. and one more thign: DO NOT bury it in a wall. It has to be acessable.

#267726 - 04/15/06 03:23 PM Re: ok to splice/junction 8 gauge wire? [Re: mtofell]
Davids Offline
Handyman

yes, it is ok to splice #8 if done properly in a j-box.

HOWEVER,

i believe your tub will require an insulated (green) ground wire, and chances are the #8 that is currently installed is not insulated. you also wont be able to run the current wire outdoors.

#267727 - 04/15/06 05:46 PM Re: ok to splice/junction 8 gauge wire? [Re: Davids]
mtofell Offline
Handyman

I just realized the wires in question are aluminum 3 + 1, braided type, the current range/oven breaker is 40 amp.... I think the tub requires a 30 amp. I am having an electrician do the part outside but was trying to save some money pulling the wire beneath the house. If it gets too complicated I will likely just have him do the whole thing from the panel...

#267728 - 04/16/06 10:18 PM Re: ok to splice/junction 8 gauge wire? [Re: mtofell]
pipedreams Offline
Handyman

Loc: Alaska
You can still save some money by running the wire yourself...........but run it all the way home to the box....COPPER..deep six the aluminum!!........it's a big time fire hazzard.......and probably won't stand up to code where you are today anyway.......dead ground out potential like WATER.......and aluminum wire is a big no no......and really..........that goes for ANY of it....anywhere, really.

Can't tell ya how many electrical fires can be traced back to aluminum wires........it was just a BAD idea.....

#267729 - 04/17/06 05:06 AM Re: ok to splice/junction 8 gauge wire? [Re: pipedreams]
SpeedyPetey Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: NY State
Quote:

...deep six the aluminum!!........it's a big time fire hazzard.......and probably won't stand up to code where you are today anyway.......dead ground out potential like WATER.......and aluminum wire is a big no no......and really..........that goes for ANY of it....anywhere, really.

ABSOLUTELY false!
Larger aluminum wire is completely safe when installed properly, just as safe as copper. The big issues with AL wire were smaller branch circuit wires (#12 & #10). This WAS an issue, and is now illegal. Larger wires, #6 and up, are safe, legal and available. In fact in my area I cannot even get SE cable in copper, even down to #6.
The scare tactics of branding ALL aluminum wire as dangerous only serves to confuse and alarm people who have it in their homes or get it installed currently.

This all being said I too would run the cable back to the panel. It makes for a much more professional job and eliminates a variable (the splice) which if not done corretly can fail later on. I must say I would use copper NM cable as well. I myself typically use copper up to #6, after that it is an installation specific call. I'd just rather use #6 than #4, if that is what the job calls for.

PLEASE don't PM me questions. I will NOT answer them via PM.

#267730 - 04/17/06 08:41 AM Re: ok to splice/junction 8 gauge wire? [Re: SpeedyPetey]
pipedreams Offline
Handyman

Loc: Alaska
Thanks for the info! I've never done much of anything with heavy wire runs. We do home improvements mostly and deal with branch circuits 95% of the time. When we're doing new construction from the ground up there's usually Electrical contractors doing the service entrance work. Live and learn!

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.