Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#263027 - 03/29/06 07:48 AM 2000 Ford Taurus -- stalling and/or won't start
Ted_the_clueless Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
This is one of those, "A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing..." kind of scenarios.

My 2000 Taurus stalls every once in a while. And every once in a while it doesn't start when you turn the key. (No crank nothing. Dealer replaced a valve and it was better for a little while but it is doing it again.

I told them when I brought it in that I thought it was either the ignition switch or something in the anti theft system. Mostly because of the way it randomly just cut out. There was nothing consistent to the stall, it just kind of happened in an elctronic kind of way -- as opposed to a fuel flow issue or something like that. (Does that make sense?)

I realised after the last time it went to the dealer that when it stalls or doesn't start, with the key off and removed from the column, the windows still operate. So, with what I learned in autoshop twenty years ago and the years of experience I have working on the four banger in dad's little sailboat I find myself thinking I know better than the repair guys. Then I stop myslef with, "Ted, they are pro's... leave them be." But I can't shake the feeling that they are fixing the wrong problem.

So, is it the ignition switch and am I better off going to an auto electronics person or the dealer (just a different one)? With the chip in the key and all I feel like this is not something I can fix myself.

#263028 - 03/29/06 02:30 PM Re: 2000 Ford Taurus -- stalling and/or won't start [Re: Ted_the_clueless]
Davids Offline
Handyman

this is a long shot, but it could simply be a poor ground.

check the following connections and make sure they are clean and tight.

- battery terminals
- battery ground connection to the frame
- ground strap between the frame and engine

this is where i would start anyway

#263029 - 03/29/06 04:39 PM Re: 2000 Ford Taurus -- stalling and/or won't start [Re: Ted_the_clueless]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
Your suggestions sounds better that the dealers, obviously. But my wife had a problem with an Audi we had..........it would cut out for no apparent reason. Several trips to the dealer and no satisfaction. They had no ideas. Then she suggested that she has a LOT of keys on the key ring, could that be the problem?? Bingo, they replaced the ignition switch, fixed the problem. Her heavy keys were swinging when accelerating, and the switch had a bad contact, cutting the engine in mid stride.

#263030 - 03/30/06 03:03 AM Re: 2000 Ford Taurus -- stalling and/or won't start [Re: Ted_the_clueless]
kodak_jack Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Rochester,NY
Try looking on here. There are Ford techs who frequent the site and are Taurus owners:
Taurus Car Club

#263031 - 03/30/06 07:13 AM Re: 2000 Ford Taurus -- stalling and/or won't start [Re: Ted_the_clueless]
handyga Offline
journeyman

I had something similar happen to me yesterday. I drove home from work, highway, local streets, and was about a mile from my house when the oil lamp flickered along with a couple of other warning lights then the engine just went dead. No clank no hint of a problem, it just shut off. I waited a few minutes and cranked the car and it started right up.
This would seem to be an extremely dangerous situation to me because I could have been on the highway when it went dead.
Any idea what would cause this? 94 Taurus with about 80,000 on a new engine, 204,000 overall. Thanks for your thoughts

#263032 - 03/30/06 03:07 PM Re: 2000 Ford Taurus -- stalling and/or won't start [Re: handyga]
Davids Offline
Handyman

Quote:

I had something similar happen to me yesterday. I drove home from work, highway, local streets, and was about a mile from my house when the oil lamp flickered along with a couple of other warning lights then the engine just went dead. No clank no hint of a problem, it just shut off. I waited a few minutes and cranked the car and it started right up.
This would seem to be an extremely dangerous situation to me because I could have been on the highway when it went dead.
Any idea what would cause this? 94 Taurus with about 80,000 on a new engine, 204,000 overall. Thanks for your thoughts

if your engine is equipt with a rotor and distributor it could be the electronic module on the distributor. when they go, they give the same symptoms you are describing. they work for 5 mins, cut out, and then work again 10 mins later

#263033 - 03/30/06 03:55 PM Re: 2000 Ford Taurus -- stalling and/or won't start [Re: Davids]
handyga Offline
journeyman

Thanks for your response. Something I am not clear on, I drove the better part of 25 miles of my commute before it quit. Does that mean if this is the issue it will start occurring more frequently?

#263034 - 03/31/06 10:26 AM Re: 2000 Ford Taurus -- stalling and/or won't start [Re: handyga]
Stevejo Offline

Loc: Brandon Manitoba
I think that you can look forward to it continuing along the same lines or getting more and more frequent.

Moderator:  Bob_Q, CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.