Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (shooter, Able_Dog, 2 invisible), 37 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#242174 - 01/17/06 06:58 PM Adapter for a 3 prong 220 volt appliance into a 4 prong dryer receptacle
KimberlyHarms Offline

I'm doing an art project and a team member is bringing their vacuum pump over to my house for some work on this project. He tells me it is 220v with a 3 prong plug that has an L shaped prong and 2 straight prongs at an angle. Here is a picture http://tinyurl.com/ct4bj It's the one with the grey wire.

In my home I have a dryer outlet that was made for a 4 prong plug. One hole is round, 2 straight prongs up and down, and one L shaped.

Question: Can I build an adapter so we can plug in his vacuum pump? This is a one time thing and I really want to have this work if at all possible.

I can buy a 3 prong receptacle to match the plug on the pump, and a 4-prong plug that will match my receptacle, I just need to know how to connect the wires.

Thanks!

#242175 - 01/17/06 09:16 PM Re: Adapter for a 3 prong 220 volt appliance into a 4 prong dryer receptacle [Re: KimberlyHarms]
Erik Offline

That is one hell of a vac pump. What in the world is that thing used for?
I think you will find that plug behind your stove.
You might check with a Camper place for an adapter.Or check with a place that sells supplies for over seas travel.
I have never seen an adapter.
You could make it check with H/D they will tell you what the wires are for.

#242176 - 01/17/06 09:32 PM Re: Adapter for a 3 prong 220 volt appliance into a 4 prong dryer receptacle [Re: KimberlyHarms]
reorange Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: CENTRAL NEW YORK
The first thing you need to do is to verify the requirements of the pump. How many amps does it actually draw.
The cord that you show as being on it is a 50 amp 3-wire range cord. Your dryer is a 30 amp 4-wire receptacle.
If it needs a 50 amp circuit it will not run on your 30 amp dryer circuit.

#242177 - 01/18/06 07:40 AM Re: Adapter for a 3 prong 220 volt appliance into a 4 prong dryer receptacle [Re: reorange]
KimberlyHarms Offline

The vacuum pump draws not much amperage - I don't remember the exact amount but it is not much. The reason it is 220 is simply that it is largely a commercial appliance. I'm not sure where it cam from but probably purchased surplus.

If amperage is not a problem - and I will verify this - can I build the adapter I described?

#242178 - 01/18/06 09:39 AM Re: Adapter for a 3 prong 220 volt appliance into a 4 prong dryer receptacle [Re: KimberlyHarms]
reorange Offline
Super Handyman

Yes you can build an adaptor, but it may not be legal and it may not be safe the way you want to do it.
It may be safer and maybe even cheaper to do it a different way.
But you have to let us know the amperage first.

#242179 - 01/18/06 12:12 PM Re: Adapter for a 3 prong 220 volt appliance into a 4 prong dryer receptacle [Re: reorange]
EAP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The HEARTland - Ohio
Quote:

The first thing you need to do is to verify the requirements of the pump. How many amps does it actually draw.
The cord that you show as being on it is a 50 amp 3-wire range cord. Your dryer is a 30 amp 4-wire receptacle.
If it needs a 50 amp circuit it will not run on your 30 amp dryer circuit.

The cord pictured is in fact, 30 amp dryer cord. A 50 amp Range receptacle and cord will have straight blades for the hot and neutral legs. (No L-shaped blades)

I am also curious as to how a vacuum pump would be used for artwork?

It might be easier (sight unseen) to replace the cord on the vacuum pump with a 4 conductor cord.

That's my .04 worth.

#242180 - 01/18/06 12:38 PM Re: Adapter for a 3 prong 220 volt appliance into a 4 prong dryer receptacle [Re: EAP]
reorange Offline
Super Handyman

OOPS!! I guess it's time to get new glasses.

You're right, it is a 30 amp. My mistake.

Replacing the cord is kinda what Ive been hinting at, but I wanted to know what the actual amperage needed was first.

#242181 - 01/19/06 04:42 PM Re: Adapter for a 3 prong 220 volt appliance into a 4 prong dryer receptacle [Re: reorange]
KimberlyHarms Offline

The Vac Pump is all of 2 amps. So the amperage shouldn't be any issue at all. I'm sorry I confused matters with the picture - it was only to show the plug layout not the actual cord. I hesitate asking my friend to replace the power cord on his pump since he will then have to change it back again when he takes it away. Anyway, it's really the same issue. I would still need to know how to connect the wires. It's 4 wires from the dryer plug into the pump which is setup for 3. So I still have the same question of what goes where. Thanks!

#242182 - 01/20/06 01:21 PM Re: Adapter for a 3 prong 220 volt appliance into a 4 prong dryer receptacle [Re: KimberlyHarms]
EAP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The HEARTland - Ohio
And I still think a 4 conductor cord would be the best and least expensive option for you. If you build an adapter you are still going to end up with a four conductor cable or cord in the process (from your wall receptacle to the adaptor box).

What you would need to do to change the cord (I believe- not being a sparkie myself) is to changeover the cord (presently)a 30 amp three conductor to a thirty amp four conductor and somehow attach the grounded conductor to a portion of the metal body or equipment housing on the vacuum pump. Do NOT attach neutral and ground conductors together unless a pro here advises otherwise.

The other question that comes to mind is if this (vacuum) pump has a single phase motor? You can not convert a three phase (240V) motor to single phase current use. Some industrial machinery uses three phase motors on 240 V three phase circuits. (I may be in left field on my phases - again, I am not a sparkie.)

I am surprised a sparky has not chimed in on this as of yet. Perhaps more details are needed to offer a specific solution.

Good luck.

#242183 - 01/20/06 04:06 PM Re: Adapter for a 3 prong 220 volt appliance into a 4 prong dryer receptacle [Re: EAP]
KimberlyHarms Offline

Thanks for your thoughts! The Vac pump does not use a three phase motor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.