Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (CabinConnection, Clint_Robbins, 2 invisible), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#233017 - 12/18/05 06:14 AM Rough Idle Snow Blower Tecumseh engine
Doug327 Offline

I've just been given a 4 year old Noma Snowblower with a 6hp Tecumseh engine. The engine runs well at 3/4 to full throttle and 1/2 choke but it tends to "chug" on lower throttle settings or with the choke all the way off.
The following have been completed:
1. New Gas/cleared any old gas from system
2. New Spark Plug
3. Fresh oil change

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Doug

#233018 - 12/18/05 08:42 AM Re: Rough Idle Snow Blower Tecumseh engine [Re: Doug327]
Doug327 Offline

Cleaned the brass boltin the bottom of the fuel bowl...seems a bit better but still "chugs" similar to if you were to rev your car engine (power to seemingly almost stall to power)

#233019 - 12/18/05 11:22 AM Re: Rough Idle Snow Blower Tecumseh engine [Re: Doug327]
vet767 Offline
fanatic

Loc: Wisconsin
Rather than go into a long explanation I will direct you to several recent post that are dealing with the same problem. It could be a gummed up carb. I presume that you have the new epa carb that does not have any adjustment for the mixture so it seems that if it is clean you might have to live with running it with the choke partially closed. Keeping it clean is essential. Check out the other post regarding clogged carbs, etc. There is a wealth of info already there Good luck

#233020 - 12/18/05 07:00 PM Re: Rough Idle Snow Blower Tecumseh engine [Re: vet767]
Tcumcman Offline
fanatic

Loc: Western SC
Doug,

You need to clean the idle circuit for the carb to work properly,
or...replace the carb if you're looking for a quick fix.

T-Man

#233021 - 12/19/05 04:03 AM Re: Rough Idle Snow Blower Tecumseh engine [Re: Tcumcman]
jakelam Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin
is this a 2-cycle engine? if the carb has no bowl, just a flat plate. is there i needle in the center of the carb? I have found a bunch of these carbs having to run with the choke at half way. fixed it by replacing the diaphrams. they tend to glaze up with build up
I have also had luck with cleaning the cylinders, by removing the heads. usually helps the compression.

#233022 - 12/21/05 08:28 AM Re: Rough Idle Snow Blower Tecumseh engine [Re: jakelam]
JVM Offline
journeyman

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I had a similar problem with an 8 hp Tecumseh that I bought used off of a friend. It hadn't been used for years but was brand new otherwise with very low hours on it.

I figured that he never ran the engine & carb dry and drained the gas before storing it so I assumed the problem was a dirty gummed up carb. I just couldn't adjust the carb any way to get it to run smoothly and I also suspected that some of the O-rings around the adjustment screws were old & dried out.

I tried running the engine and spraying carb cleaner into the carb but that didn't help much so I took the carb off and brought it into a shop to have it cleaned and the O-rings replaced. It runs fine now.

The guy in the shop said that he soaks the carb overnight in a strong cleaner and that spraying carb cleaner doesn't compare in the job it does. He also suggested rinsing the gas tank and gas lines with methyl hydrate to clean out any gumming or varnish from old gas. You can get methyl hydrate in the paint dept. from any home supply store since it's also used as a paint thinner & cleaner.

If you use gas stabilizer and make sure to drain the tank and run the engine & carb bone dry before storing it for the summer, you shoudn't have problems.

#233023 - 12/22/05 03:28 AM Re: Rough Idle Snow Blower Tecumseh engine [Re: Doug327]
kodak_jack Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Rochester,NY
We just went thorugh this in a posting labelled as clogged snowblower carb. Below are the manual and rebuild kit numbers. Pick a dealer off the Internet to buy the stuff and have at it. I didn't want to tear the whole carb apart if I didn't have to, so, I replaced the idle nut/screw assembly and it started better, but didn't run quite right. I screwed in that idle mixture screw a touch until it ran better. In retrospect, when I put in the nut/screw assembly, I noticed the new one was screwed in further than my original one. I adjusted it to match the old one, but later had to readjust it. So, it was probably set right just the way it came.
Repair kit#: 632347
Manual#: 740049

Moderator:  Bob_Q, CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.