Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#215631 - 10/23/05 07:44 AM Black residue in dishwasher
gugu Offline

Our Kenmore dishwasher(3.5yrs old) develops a black powdery rubbery residue deposited almost everywhere, around the top sprayer, rack wheels, detergent lid, anywhere there is a gap where water would get in but would not easily wash away. It looks like mold, but it is not smelly inside and also one'd think detergents would not allow that.
3 months ago, I changed the sump seal on the bottom, because the edges of it were crumbling away and covered with this black dusty deposit. So I thought it was the source. The residue went away for a while, but now it is back.
Any ideas? Mold? Iron?

#215632 - 10/23/05 08:40 AM Re: Black residue in dishwasher
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

Kenmore is made by several different companies....model#?

http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

jeff.

#215633 - 10/23/05 10:46 AM Re: Black residue in dishwasher
gugu Offline

Its model # is 665.16579000. It is apparently made by whirlpool.
More tips: I just did a vinegar cycle with a cup in the bottom. When the cycle was over, I looked at the water in the cup. At the bottom of it was a pile of sandy dirt precipitated with particle color ranging from mainly black to white and gray. This must be a sample of the impurities cuasing all this. It is like something is disintegrating in the washer.

#215634 - 10/23/05 11:47 AM Re: Black residue in dishwasher
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In reply to:

I just did a vinegar cycle

Carefull with that! Vinegar will eat away at anything rubbery and deteriate it.....making things worse.

In reply to:

Its model # is 665.16579000

Closest that would work for me....
665.16579200 665.16579201 665.16579202

In reply to:

It is apparently made by whirlpool

Yupper, one of the 12 different designs that WLP has.

In reply to:

At the bottom of it was a pile of sandy dirt precipitated with particle color ranging from mainly black to white and gray.

Check water temps and soap...
http://www.applianceaid.com/drain_wash.html#clean

Have heard about but not seen, #5 and #13 deteriating causing problems.

Check valve, pump sump

Gasket, pump sump

jeff.

#215635 - 10/23/05 11:56 AM Re: Black residue in dishwasher
gugu Offline

Sorry, 665.16879000.
Vinegar cycle is recommended in the manual. Why? ACtually, it would not help in my case anyway. I am doing a quick rinse now to see if that dirt will appear in the cup again.

#215636 - 10/23/05 12:02 PM Re: Black residue in dishwasher
gugu Offline

Well I can not visualize where #5 is in the pump.
We use the 3-in-1 capsules for washing. But this black deposit was there before when we used regular detergent.
The dishwasher is connected to garbage disposal. Can a drain backflow cause this?

#215637 - 10/23/05 02:26 PM Re: Black residue in dishwasher
captain150 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Canada
I would check water temperature and level first. If that's good, check the holes in the wash arms. Failing that, I know our dishwasher had a problem with the fine mesh filter and backflush arm (a fine filter and arm that automatically washes the filter off).
I'm not sure if your dishwasher would have that or not.

#215638 - 10/23/05 06:19 PM Re: Black residue in dishwasher
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In reply to:

That one works

In reply to:

Vinegar cycle is recommended in the manual. Why?

For what do they recommend it use?
10+ years ago we used to suggest vinager and then the manufactures told us to stop and suggest other items to clean the d/w out....bleach, dishwasher magic, Glisten, Rover....

In reply to:

Well I can not visualize where #5 is in the pump

Has to be taken apart to view it.

In reply to:

The dishwasher is connected to garbage disposal. Can a drain backflow cause this?

Will cause problems. A copy from Wash and drain page:
Scrape away large pieces of food, bones, pits, toothpicks, etc. Burned on food should be loosened before loading. Empty liquids from glasses and cups. Foods such as mustard, mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon juice and tomato products may cause discoloration of stainless steel and plastics if allowed to sit for a long period of time. Unless the dishwasher is to be operated at once, it is best to rinse off these food soils. Load racks so that large items do not prevent the detergent dispenser from opening. If the dishwasher drains into a food disposer, be sure disposer is completely empty before starting the dishwasher.

jeff.

#215639 - 10/23/05 07:50 PM Re: Black residue in dishwasher
gugu Offline

They recommend white vinegar in case of film on dishes.
I ran the dishwasher 4-5 times in quick rinse with the observation cup. There was less and less sediment in the cup finally none, indicating that the source may have been washed away.
Of course, tempt fate, I discovered occasional water dripping in the lower right corner of the door during the quick rinse. Possibly the door seal is worn out near that point. I have not seen a leak before, and it can not possibly have started to act up just today (or can it?). I am guessing the quick rinse with no dishes lets the water splash more forcefully near that corner.
Thanks for the advices.

#215640 - 10/24/05 05:47 AM Re: Black residue in dishwasher
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In reply to:

They recommend white vinegar in case of film on dishes

To use it in the d/w?...or to soak an item in a bowl of vinager to see if the film comes off?

In reply to:

There was less and less sediment in the cup finally none, indicating that the source may have been washed away

The source may still be there, the build up may have been washed away.

In reply to:

I have not seen a leak before, and it can not possibly have started to act up just today (or can it?).

Why not!

In reply to:

I am guessing the quick rinse with no dishes lets the water splash more forcefully near that corner.

Possible yes, the dishes will block some of the water spray.

jeff.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.