Handyman Wire

Who's Online
6 registered (Able_Dog, wgander, DonkeyDave, CabinConnection, twoshoes, 1 invisible), 47 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#213202 - 10/15/05 06:49 AM Reusing Freon
Joseph1 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
If an A/C unit is replaced, can the old freon be caught in a freon tank for use in another older system?

#213203 - 10/15/05 06:30 PM Re: Reusing Freon
johnd59 Offline
first timer

Joseph1, I see that yours is the only ac q. that has no answer. The reason is simple, no one who does a'c work will try to reuse old freom due to the likelyhood of contamination. This could ruin an otherwise good system.
If you are looking for an older system check out achelp.com. I saw a new unit price that surprised me.

#213204 - 10/16/05 10:16 AM Re: Reusing Freon
Joseph1 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
johnd59,
I can understand that an A/C tech might be reluctant to use freon from one unit in another one due to potential liability. The unit that I would put the used freon in is >15 yrs old and has a slight leak in the coil. The unit where the freon would come from is the same age and only problem has been a leaking coil.

Is it technically feasible to put some of the freon from the replaced unit into a tank for use? I have a tank which does not contain a check valve.

Thanks,

#213205 - 10/16/05 02:05 PM Re: Reusing Freon
manest Offline
journeyman

Loc: Anthony, TX, USA
I'm not sure about the HVAC world, but in automotive circles freon is "re-used" all the time. With the proper equipment, recover/recycle machine, it can be done easily. The main problem I think you will run into in this situation is getting the freon out of one unit and into the other. The system is under pressure, correct? So if you hook up a tank to the system and open the valve, the presure will equalize between the system and the tank. So the volume of the catch tank will determine how much freon you can actually recover because without applying vacuum to the system it will never get completely empty. Now another problem is if there is any mositure in your catch tank if so how are you going to get it out? If water/moisture gets in to the freon it can (most likely will) ruin your compessor because water DOES NOT compress!

#213206 - 10/17/05 12:13 PM Re: Reusing Freon
codeman1 Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
There are a lot of legal and ethical issues attached to this question. The real answer is yes and no. First the freon from a unit that is being replaced MUST be recovered into a container and not vented into the atmophere. It is the law with a very stiff fine so heed the warning. Now what happens after that point is a good question. I am not a HVAC contractor so I only work on my own equipment and I reuse refrigerant all the time. New units come pre-charged so I end up with a lot of extra used refrigerant. If I were working on someone elses equipment then I would only use virgin refrigerant and that is absolutely true if I were in the business. You can't risk the liability of re-use on someone elses stuff. If I want to do it on my stuff and I break it then well it is my fault. If a system has a leak then the refrigerant will have moisture in it. I always use an in line filter drier on my recovery machine to help remove some of the moisture. If I am reusing then I also use it when transfering the refigerant into another system. Don't ever re-use refrigerant when a compressor has burned out. That will destroy any system you put it in.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.