Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (Able_Dog, ATMMan, 1 invisible), 55 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#212665 - 10/13/05 03:21 PM Bathtub drain lever not working
clutch Offline
journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
Our bathtub drain lever needs to be held down to drain the tub. It takes several tries to get it to stay down but even then, it doesn't drain as fast as it could if the lever was able to stay down. It just won't stay in the down position. It almost seems like it isn't latching. Does anyone know of a repair for this? Thanks in advance. It is a stopper-type drain with a lever attached to linkage in the overflow tube.

#212666 - 10/13/05 04:19 PM Re: Bathtub drain lever not working
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
Yes the lever is replacable as seperate item. The spring in the lever is likely weak or broken. Remove the two screws and pull up and out, the stopper and linkage will come out with it. Replace the lever and drop everything back down the overflow. This is a good time to the adjustment of the linkage. Adjust it so the water just stops draining when the level is up, otherwise it will not drain properly when you want it to.

#212667 - 10/13/05 09:08 PM Re: Bathtub drain lever not working
Clint_Robbins Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Akron, OH
Another possibility is that the plate and/or lever are corroded to the point that it won't work right even with a good spring. If that's the case, you might only need a new face plate/lever/spring assembly.

#212668 - 10/13/05 10:03 PM Re: Bathtub drain lever not working
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
Here's a link with pictures that may help you out with all the other great advice you got.

#212669 - 10/17/05 08:40 AM Re: Bathtub drain lever not working
clutch Offline
journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
Hello guys,

Thanks for your help. I do need it again though. I went to HD to purchase a replacement part for the trip lever and face plate. I brought it home only to find out that the trip lever isn't as long as the one currently in the tub and the screws that hold the face plate on are a bigger diameter than the current unit. The tub has Eljer parts and are probably at least 42 years old.

How do I replace the face plate if the screw sizes on the replacement parts are too large? I took the part back and checked with Lowe's to see if they carry any different parts. It seems the larger diameter screw size is a standard size now. But, it isn't the size of my old unit. I can't get to the back of the tub to retrofit the pipe because this tub backs up to another tub.

The worst part is that when I took out the trip lever and stopper, I cleaned everything up real good. Now the lever doesn't stay down at all to allow the tub to drain. The spring is shot and the washers that hold the screws in place have worn a grove in the face plate making a replacement manditory.

Thanks for your help.

#212670 - 10/17/05 11:01 AM Re: Bathtub drain lever not working
Clint_Robbins Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Akron, OH
Check plumbing supply stores - the large home improvement stores only carry the faster moving products.

#212671 - 10/17/05 11:15 AM Re: Bathtub drain lever not working
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
I had troubles with my lever drain stopper and got so fed up that I use a differnt method instead. I removed the linkage and stopper from the faceplate and just screwed the faceplate back on the tub. Then I bought a 5" flat disc at the grocery store called a drain stopper. It looks similar to this but it's totally flat. Works great at holding the water in the tub and no more lever to worry about.

But if you're set on installing a new trip lever then I would just use your existing screws or new ones of the same size and install a stainless steel washer under them to hold the new faceplate in place.

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.