Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (Punky, e_a_g_l_e_p_i, 2 invisible), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#201298 - 08/25/05 09:59 AM Toilet Flush causes bathtub drain gurgling
FrankL Offline
first timer

I had some plumbing work done yesterday to unclog the bathtub drain. A pipe was replaced, and the drain was cleared and drains great. After plumber left, I flushed toilet in same bathroom and noticed gurgling sounds from the tub drain. I left a message for the plumber to return and have not heard from him yet. Any reasons why this might happen?

#201299 - 08/25/05 10:39 AM Re: Toilet Flush causes bathtub drain gurgling
FranS Offline
Carpal Tunnel

might be a blockage in the toilet drain or just excess air from having the drains open. have you flushed the toilet again? did anything back up or just the gurgle?

#201300 - 08/25/05 11:11 AM Re: Toilet Flush causes bathtub drain gurgling
xmy556a Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Québec, Canada
That gurgling sound is likely the water in the bath's p-trap bubbling as your toilet flush looks for air to properly drain the waste to the sewage line.
Flush the toilet a few times and the gurgling may stop. That's because the P-trap is now empty of water...proof? Pour water down the bath drain anf flush hte toilet again ... gurgles again?
If it has to pull air from the bath's p-trap the drain vent may have become clogged in the process of working on the bath drain.

#201301 - 08/25/05 11:32 AM Re: Toilet Flush causes bathtub drain gurgling
FrankL Offline
first timer

Nothing came up, just gurgling. We have flushed the toilet several times with the same results. Thanks for the feedback.

#201302 - 08/25/05 08:17 PM Re: Toilet Flush causes bathtub drain gurgling
liqwidplumber Offline
Handyman

Loc: Southern Indiana, A transplant...
Sounds like the sewer is clogged. Or maybe he cut the pipe out but did not put it back right. Maybe missed the vent.

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.