Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (CabinConnection, 2 invisible), 46 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#193545 - 07/12/05 08:09 PM Hot tub GFCI won't reset
jim97219 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Oregon
At present, the tub is empty and the timer is all that's set to work. The only thing that's changed is that the hot tub repair guy replaced a "30amp DPDT Relay" that was buzzing rather loudly. Now, I can't get the GFCI that's on the tub to reset. I've tried everything the hot tub repair guy suggested, including taking out then putting back in the disconnect and also resetting the breaker. I tried disconnecting the two downstream things from the unit, one at a time then both, again with no success. Can anyone give me any insight to what might be wrong? Also, this post will also be on the Pools & Spas forum.

Thanks in advance to everyone who makes this a great forum!

Jim

#193546 - 07/12/05 08:27 PM Re: Hot tub GFCI won't reset
Arnold Offline
Helpful Electrician

Loc: United States
Let me get this straight. When the "repair guy" arrived, you had a working hot tub with a mildly annoying buzzing. When the "repair guy" left, you had a non-working hot tub. Call him back and don't let him out of the house until it's fixed.

#193547 - 07/12/05 09:55 PM Re: Hot tub GFCI won't reset
jim97219 Offline
enthusiast

Not exactly, Arnold. It worked for a couple of weeks until I shut it down for another couple of weeks to fix a small water leak. Successfully repaired, I might add. By the way, the leak was about two feet from anything electrical.

The hot tub guy is definitely in the loop although I'm not sure I can pin 100% of it on him and his repair. So any insight you or anyone else here might have would be most appreciated.

Jim

#193548 - 07/12/05 11:01 PM Re: Hot tub GFCI won't reset
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
Need a bit more info first. Is there a 50 amp breaker in your main panel that feeds a small panel on your spa that has a 30 amp GFCI and a 20 amp breaker in it? Or is the main breaker in your panel that feeds the spa a GFCI?

If the 30 amp GFCI is tripping then this indicates a problem with the tub. First thing you should do is open the breaker for this circuit and remove the LOAD wires from the GFCI. Then close the breaker and try to reset the GFCI. If it resets then the problem is with the spa, if it doesn't reset then you need to replace the GFCI with a new one.

If it resets then I would lable all the connectors that attach to your spa pack housing, then disconnect them all and apply power. If no trip then shut off the power and one by one hook them up to find which item is causing the trip. I had an ozonator that would do this, your's may be something else.
Here's a link that'll help in the details.

http://www.hottubessentials.com/troubleshooting_tripping_GFCI.htm

Let us know what you find.

#193549 - 07/13/05 01:41 PM Re: Hot tub GFCI won't reset
jim97219 Offline
enthusiast

Dora,

Thanks for the info and for the link. There is a 50 amp breaker in my main panel and a disconnect across the way from the hot tub. Then, on the hot tub control box, there is a blank-face GFCI (not sure of the amps) and that's what's giving me the problem.

I'm at work now and will do what you suggest, most likely this evening, and see what the problem is.

Again, thanks for the info and I'll post back with results.

Jim

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.