Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (Able_Dog, 2 invisible), 46 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#179919 - 05/08/05 08:44 PM Wiring commercial tanning bed for home
mheffel Offline
first timer

Loc: Alabama
Hi,
First, thanks to hints that were right on from people on this forum a couple months ago I was able to fix a dryer problem, but now for my new problem.

I just bought a tanning bed (commercial SunTana SunSystem) from an individual who used it at home since it was new 10 years ago. About all the previous owner could tell me is that it was wired directly into a box in the wall with two 120 volt lines (Black and white), and one ground (green). They had someone run a special line to it years ago.

Well, to hook it up at my house, I spliced a wire (#10 X 2 plus ground) from my dryer line (#10, 2 X 120 plus ground, 30 amp breaker) for power, but the bed won't turn on. The breaker is OK, and the dryer still works too. Also, after hooking the bed up I went to the other end of the house and flipped the breaker on, and I thought I heard a pop about 10 seconds later from the end of the house where the bed is. Not sure if I was imagining that though.

Some of my questions are, was it a good idea to splice off of the dryer line for power? How have others hooked up tanning beds? Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Some more info ... I'm sure I've tried to turn the machine on correctly, but I'll keep looking into that. I'll check for certain to see if I'm getting power to the bed after I post this. I don't have a manual for the bed, unfortunately. The wires from the bed are #10, black, white and green.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

#179920 - 05/08/05 09:46 PM Re: Wiring commercial tanning bed for home
mheffel Offline
first timer

OK, I've confirmed that I do have power to the bed's outlet.

#179921 - 05/08/05 10:26 PM Re: Wiring commercial tanning bed for home
tlvaun Offline

Loc: Sparta, TN
In reply to:

Some of my questions are, was it a good idea to splice off of the dryer line for power? How have others hooked up tanning beds? Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

I would say that no it would not be a good idea to splice off the dryer line for power because you will never be able to tan and dry clothes at the same time since both pull a lot of current. I actually have never hooked up a tanning bed, but I would look around where you wire in the power to it and see if there's a nameplate that shows the current and voltage requirements. Even though I would think that it would need 240VAC it may only need 120VAC which would explain the pop sound (maybe a transformer)

#179922 - 05/09/05 12:03 AM Re: Wiring commercial tanning bed for home
frenchelectrican Offline
Handyman

Loc: Wisconsin and Paris France ...
any chance did you check the nameplate for voltage and wattage requriement ?? i know most commercal tanning bed requred wired at 240 volt and watch out the connection most tanning bed i hook up useally asked for 4 wire set up due bunch of 120 volt ballast there but some tanning bed use the 240 volt ballast there also but please most impoart part is read the nameplate first then check the wiring digram to see which way you can run it unless you can give us the manufacter name and model number i can try to look up for you

Merci , Marc

#179923 - 05/09/05 07:16 AM Re: Wiring commercial tanning bed for home
mheffel Offline
first timer

I looked and found the nameplate which reads as follows:

SunTana SunSystem
Model SB-3
(this was hard to read, but I think that's correct)
SN C1369
Man. June 1984
Volts 120 VAC 60 HZ.
Amp 24
Sun Industries

I ran power to the bed without reading the nameplate first ... I think that was bad. I don't like where it says 120 VAC when I ran 240 to it ... are my fears correct?

The bed has three #10 wires from it which are black, red and green. I don't have a manual or schematic for the bed.

#179924 - 05/09/05 07:49 AM Re: Wiring commercial tanning bed for home
reorange Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: CENTRAL NEW YORK
You need to have a dedicated 30 amp 120 volt circuit, 10/2 with ground on a 30 amp single pole breaker.
When you put 240 to it you may have burned out something or you may have possibly blown an internal fuse.
After you run the correct power for it, if it doesn't work you will probably need an electrician.

#179925 - 05/09/05 09:22 AM Re: Wiring commercial tanning bed for home
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
If you are lucky there is an internal fuse that has popped. Otherwise you probably smoked the bed by applying 240volts.

#179926 - 05/09/05 10:23 AM Re: Wiring commercial tanning bed for home
mheffel Offline
first timer

In reply to:

If you are lucky there is an internal fuse that has popped. Otherwise you probably smoked the bed by applying 240volts.

I have my fingers crossed that there was a fuse. I didn't smell anything burning, so I guess that's good news. I'll probably dig into it tonight to look for a fuse, but that's about all I'm going to do.

Before it's too late (meaning before I kill myself), I'm going to call an electrician to look at it and run a dedicated line as described in an earlier post.

#179927 - 05/10/05 05:56 PM Re: Wiring commercial tanning bed for home
mheffel Offline
first timer

I have taken the cover off to do some diagnostics as the unit doesn't work with the correct power to it. Please look at the photo to tell me if I've done the following correctly.

I couldn't find a fuse anywhere. When the power comes in it appears to go almost directly to a transformer. I plugged the bed up and I measured 120 Volts going in to the transformer, but nothing coming out. See photo. Also, note burnt discoloration (looks like shadows in photo) of white and red wires immediately to the left of the transformer as seen in this photo . Maybe this happened when I heard the popping noise.

Shouldn't there be 24 VAC coming out of the transformer? Do you think my transformer is ruined from me originally hooking the bed up to 240V? Do you think a new transformer might fix the problem?

Transformer reads:
Dayton
Model 4X746A Transformer
Class 2 not wet, Class 3 wet
Primary 120 VAC 50/60 Hz LINE
Secondary 24 VAC 40VA

#179928 - 05/10/05 06:07 PM Re: Wiring commercial tanning bed for home
reorange Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: CENTRAL NEW YORK
Looks like you burned out the transformer. I would replace that and also inspect all of the wires around it. Repair or replace anything that looks burnt or damaged.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.