Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 73 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#179059 - 05/04/05 07:46 PM Smell coming from breaker box
Wendell1964 Offline
first timer

Hello, I noticed today that I have a slight burning plastic smell coming from my breaker box. Is this normal during high load times. Is it time to call an electrician or am I just being paranoid?

#179060 - 05/04/05 08:56 PM Re: Smell coming from breaker box
Arnold Offline
Helpful Electrician

Loc: United States
Feel each of the breakers with your fingers. Are any of them hot?

I suspect a loose connection somewhere in your panel is creating heat that is melting some insulation. I would get this fixed soon. Chances are all that it takes is tightening a screw (and cutting away some damaged wire if necessary). It's simple, but working inside the panel can be dangerous so only a qualified person should open it up.

#179061 - 05/04/05 09:07 PM Re: Smell coming from breaker box
Wendell1964 Offline
first timer

I checked each breaker and none were hot but I am going to call in a professional to check it out. Thanks for the reply.

#179062 - 05/07/05 02:57 AM Re: Smell coming from breaker box
mtofell Offline
Handyman

You are on the right track by calling in a pro... it sounds like a loose connection. This brings up a topic I have wondered about that maybe one of the pros can comment on. I once smelled the burning plastic smell you talk of and when feeling all of my switches found the culprit. It was on a thermostat for a baseboard heater and the whole thing was pretty much fried.... Anyhow, do the manufacturers of wire make the plastic sheathing so that it smells a lot when it burns or is that just lucky? The odor from mine was so strong that it smelled in the house for weeks after I fixed it. I have often wondered if this is on purpose or just lucky... I know any plastic smells pretty strong when burned....

#179063 - 05/07/05 03:05 PM Re: Smell coming from breaker box
3phase Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Licensed Electrical Contractor...
MTO, I think the stink from the wiring is just luck. I remember from old Firefighter training that all plastics do indeed give off noxious gases. I hate getting the wire smell on my nands, it lasts for days. A burnt out light ballast is even worse!

#179064 - 05/07/05 06:31 PM Re: Smell coming from breaker box
Wendell1964 Offline
first timer

I had a pro look at the breaker box and he found a few loose connections. He told me this is common because when there is a load on them they heat up and when the load is discontinued they cool off. The heating and cooling will, through time, cause the screws to loosen on the breaker.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.