Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (DonkeyDave, twoshoes, 2 invisible), 53 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#170677 - 04/02/05 02:19 PM GE Fridge...Door water dispenser won't shut off!!!
bryanh Offline
first timer

Help...we are slowly drowning!! My son went to get a glass of water and the water dispenser would not shut off!! While trying to pull the fridge out to get to the cutoff valve, we opened the door and the water cutoff. We then mopped up the mess and turned the water off to the fridge. Now we have no water and will shortly have no ice. This is a GE side by side model: TFX24SLL.

I did pull the cover off the inside of freezer door and depressed the water disp. lever. The lever/pin seem to be OK. No plastic parts broken inside. Thanks for any help you can give. Bryan

Edited by bryanh (04/02/05 02:32 PM)

#170678 - 04/02/05 02:41 PM Re: GE Fridge...Door water dispenser won't shut off!!!
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

In reply to:

My son went to get a glass of water and the water dispenser would not shut off!!

Was the water comming out full force?...dribling?...slowing dripping?

First thing we might do is find out if the chilled water 1/2 of the fill valve getting power ( 110-120 volts AC ) at the time or not. Getting power and the water stays flowing = a stuck/bad switch, broken mechanism for the switch or shorted wire. Not getting power and the water keeps flowing = bad fill valve, low water pressure ( fill valve cannot shut off ), bad water tank reservoir.

jeff.

#170679 - 04/02/05 07:11 PM Re: GE Fridge...Door water dispenser won't shut off!!!
bryanh Offline
first timer

Water was running out at full force!

#170680 - 04/02/05 09:46 PM Re: GE Fridge...Door water dispenser won't shut off!!!
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That -sounds- more electrical...possible sticky/stuck microswitch.

LINK> Dispenser switch

jeff.

#170681 - 04/03/05 06:43 AM Re: GE Fridge...Door water dispenser won't shut off!!!
bryanh Offline
first timer

I don't know if this makes a difference....but my ice dispenser lever/switch is still functioning. Is this a different microswitch?

#170682 - 04/03/05 07:37 AM Re: GE Fridge...Door water dispenser won't shut off!!!
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is one switch for each, one for the water and a second for the ice.

Your model should have 2 plungers on front.

jeff.

#170683 - 04/03/05 07:50 AM Re: GE Fridge...Door water dispenser won't shut off!!!
bryanh Offline
first timer

I checked, and there are 2 switches. Looks like an easy repair. Is there a way to confirm the switch is bad before ordering? I have a tester. Thanks for your help.

#170684 - 04/03/05 01:02 PM Re: GE Fridge...Door water dispenser won't shut off!!!
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi,

In reply to:

Is there a way to confirm the switch is bad before ordering?

**First thing we might do is find out if the chilled water 1/2 of the fill valve getting power ( 110-120 volts AC ) at the time or not. Getting power and the water stays flowing = a stuck/bad switch, broken mechanism for the switch or shorted wire**

The switch itself can also be ohmed for continuity....should be open when not used and closed when activated. These switch can also stick and fail and a light tap will make them work again....until the next time they stick.

jeff.

#170685 - 04/07/05 11:20 AM Re: GE Fridge...Door water dispenser won't shut off!!!
bryanh Offline
first timer

I replaced the microswitch and turned the water back on yesterday. I have ice cubes now, but now I have no water coming out when the lever is depressed. I can hear and see the microswitch clicking when the lever is depressed....but not a drop of water. I left it overnight and we have a large amount of ice....so I know the water is flowing, just don't know why it was gushing out before and now there is nothing????

#170686 - 04/07/05 11:32 AM Re: GE Fridge...Door water dispenser won't shut off!!!
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Possible the water froze somewhere?....water tank/reservoir is possible, it is normally behind the crispers in the FF section.

jeff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.