Handyman Wire

Who's Online
6 registered (boyes37, Terpland, Marq, 3 invisible), 50 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#164846 - 03/15/05 03:06 PM Lengthening the washing machine drainage hose
RobynB Offline
first timer

The distance between the drainage outlet on my new GE washing machine to the outlet pipe is about 8'. I cannot move the washing machine closer to the pipe. The hose which came with the machine in combination with the GE extension hose is not long enough. Should I buy and insert another GE extension part, which adds another two connections to the hose? Or should I try coupling up a 4' rubber hose (standard from Home Depot) to the existing GE extension hose by inserting a plastic double-sided connector into each and securing with metal hose ties? Which would be best for preventing short and long term leaks? Please help! I need to do laundry!

#164847 - 03/15/05 03:14 PM Re: Lengthening the washing machine drainage hose
Dansterb Offline
fanatic

Loc: NJ
If it were me.. Id extend the drainage pipe but dont think a "till the weekend" hose extension would hurt. No longer then that...

#164848 - 03/15/05 03:59 PM Re: Lengthening the washing machine drainage hose
ront02769 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New England
Have had a hose extension on my washing machine for about 19 years absolutely no problem. however, be ABSOLUTELY SURE that you put hose clamps on both sides of every connection.

ront

#164849 - 03/15/05 06:08 PM Re: Lengthening the washing machine drainage hose
captain150 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Canada
Remember, there is a certain distance a washer can drain water. 8' may be pushing it, but you will find out.

#164850 - 03/15/05 08:21 PM Re: Lengthening the washing machine drainage hose
ront02769 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New England
It is actuall I think more related to height than distance. for example,no way that a standard washer will drain 8 feet straight up, bot going 8 to the side and perhaps 3 or four feet up is a totally different story.

ront

#164851 - 03/15/05 09:01 PM Re: Lengthening the washing machine drainage hose
captain150 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Canada
True enough, I didn't get a totally clear idea of the question. But in any case, most washers do not drain all the water. They drain the water to the pump but cannot pump the water out of the hose. So when the washer is done spinning, all the water in the hose comes back into the washer. This normally is no big deal since most washers have an inch or 2 clearence between the basket and tub. But just something to think about if you are finding water in the bottom of the basket after a load.

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.