Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (CabinConnection, Clint_Robbins, 2 invisible), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#163479 - 03/10/05 08:55 PM Hot Water Faucet Hard to Turn On and Off
paulf602 Offline

Loc: Maine
During the past year, we updated our kitchen with new cabinets and sink. We purchased a nice, new, antique-style, two-handled faucet with separate hot and cold water shut offs. We had the cabinet installer's plumber install the sink and faucet. Now, less than a year later, the hot water faucet shutoff, but not the cold water faucet, has become more and more difficult to turn on and off. Before I take the faucet apart, does anyone have any ideas what might be going on with the hot water side of the faucet. Thanks. -Paul

#163480 - 03/10/05 09:47 PM Re: Hot Water Faucet Hard to Turn On and Off
liqwidplumber Offline
Handyman

Loc: Southern Indiana, A transplant...
Really need to know the name of the faucet. But it sounds like there is rubber or plastic in the stems, and they have become swollen and or waterlogged. Your water may be to hot. And if it is not A name brand faucet, I would not waste my time trying to find parts. If it is like A Glacier Bay, or something similiar forget about it.But it could be Moen, Delta, Kohler, American Standard. And please don.t say Price Pfister, they are OK until they go bad, then the hunt is on for parts.

#163481 - 03/11/05 04:15 AM Re: Hot Water Faucet Hard to Turn On and Off
paulf602 Offline

Unfortunately, it's a Glacier Bay.

#163482 - 03/11/05 08:03 PM Re: Hot Water Faucet Hard to Turn On and Off
liqwidplumber Offline
Handyman

Loc: Southern Indiana, A transplant...
Figured as much. Well now you can try your hand A installing A new faucet. Not to hard. Just pick out A good one. If you don't care about looks, I would get A Central Brass great faucets and fairly cheap, in price. They are cast from solid brass, and easy to repair. But if you are going for looks then any number of name brand faucets will do.

#163483 - 03/11/05 10:38 PM Re: Hot Water Faucet Hard to Turn On and Off
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
Glacier Bay is the Home Depot store brand and they carry a lifetime warranty. It's an exchange program, so you have to take your old faucet in with you.

It may be possible to turn off the water and take apart the hot stem. Grease it with some plumber's grease and that may solve your problem. I've done that lots of times with good luck. Bob.

#163484 - 03/12/05 03:04 PM Re: Hot Water Faucet Hard to Turn On and Off
paulf602 Offline

Thanks everyone for the help. I swapped out the Glacier Bay today for a nice American Standard. -Paul

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.