Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 55 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#162365 - 03/07/05 11:46 AM Plumbing solder same as electric?
jolene Offline

I have an old roll of solder but without any label on it, so I may have originally bought it for electricity. It is a thin gauge. Do you know if plumbing solder and electricity solder are the same or if electricity solder can be used for plumbing? Thank you.

#162366 - 03/07/05 12:30 PM Re: Plumbing solder same as electric?
kframe19 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Virginia
Electrical solder often has high amounts of silver in it to help with the connection.

As to whether they can be used interchangably or not, I don't know.

#162367 - 03/07/05 12:36 PM Re: Plumbing solder same as electric?
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
The solder itself is the same, or close. The old stuff you have is probably 60/40 or 50/50 solder.

For electric work, you should use a much finer (thinner) rosin cored solder. Your plumber's solder requires the use of acid flux, which will do bad things to electric components in time. Electric solder is like a tube (very small tube) filled with a special "rosin" flux, non-corrosive. Pick some up at your local hardware store. Be sure it says "Rosin cored", then you don't need to worry about fluxes.

J

#162368 - 03/07/05 01:08 PM Re: Plumbing solder same as electric?
jolene Offline

Well I actually want to use the solder for copper pipe plumbing (with flux). I did try a couple of joints and they look ok, although I noticed that the blow lamp actually makes the solder burn (causing small flames), whereas the other solder (thicker type) doesnt cause those flames. I ranf the plumbing supplier and they say that electrical solder is "thinner" and is "different".

#162369 - 03/07/05 01:22 PM Re: Plumbing solder same as electric?
HeatPro Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: South New Jersey
Old rolls of thicker solder were usually 50/50 solder which has half lead. The solders were changed to less or no lead to eliminate and reduce lead from the environment. Flux inside a flame will flare off; such electrical solder with flux core is usually heated with a solder iron, so doesn't flare then. They both will join metals, but burned flux might leave holes for water to seep after it has been soaked for a while.

#162370 - 03/07/05 01:56 PM Re: Plumbing solder same as electric?
stateline Offline
Handyman

if the solder is real old, the flux inside is probably dried up anyway and will just make a mess.
Rosin core for eletrical work.
Acid core for auto raditors,brass and copper stuf
solid core--lead free with a can of flux for water pipes and anything for human use

Edited by stateline (03/07/05 01:58 PM)

#162371 - 03/07/05 02:44 PM Re: Plumbing solder same as electric?
jolene Offline

Well since I don't want to take any chances (I have a complete ofch system to instal) I will be going back to the suppliers (again) and get 2 or 3 proper solder rolls - last one I got there was 3,5 % silver, which I suppose is normal for plumbing. Anything for peace of mind. Thanks.

#162372 - 03/07/05 03:00 PM Re: Plumbing solder same as electric?
HeatPro Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: South New Jersey
Silver-bearing solder is a quality solder for drinking lines. Silver helps make soldering easier. There are other types like 95/5 that has no lead, but flows more 'watery' and faster, so requires practice. There are still lead-bearing solders available for non-drinking purposes:

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/showprod.asp?ctg=7&subctg=0&Submit1=Go+to+Product+Catalog

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.