Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#157554 - 02/20/05 04:27 AM question on wiring in a crawl space????
Shoreguy Offline

Loc: New Jersey Shore, The Best "US...
Hi all, I'm relocating a kitchen and adding a full appliance package in a small beach house I'm remodeling so I need to run some new lines. This house is a block/stucco structure and a pitched roof was installed over the old flat asphalt roof. In other words the attic floor is the old roof. Anyway, after weighing all options running new Romex through the crawl space was by far the easier way to go. I know I am not allowed to staple the Romex to the bottom of floor joists so I have to either drill holes to run my wire through the floor joists or use running boards. I have four 12 AWG lines and one #8 wire (for range) that will run for a little more than 20' in a very protected area in the crawl space (enclosed by center foundation wall). My question is what would be the best way to run these wires? All five wires are going to run the 20' in the same direction then branch off and go through the sole plates of the walls framing in the kitchen. I know I can't bundle the wire and run it through one hole in each joist because of cabling, but I can't see the point in drilling five holes per joist to run the wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#157555 - 02/20/05 06:54 AM Re: question on wiring in a crawl space????
SpeedyPetey Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: NY State
You really don't need 5 holes, 3 would be fine.
Also, I am confused. Is this an attic crawl or basement? You mention the roofs and attic but also floor joists.

PLEASE don't PM me questions. I will NOT answer them via PM.

#157556 - 02/20/05 07:56 AM Re: question on wiring in a crawl space????
Shoreguy Offline

Loc: New Jersey Shore, The Best "US...
First to answer your question, it is a foundation crawl space under the house. The reason that I mentioned the roof/attic is that would have been my preferred way to go but, was not feasable. I'm guessing 2 #12 wires per hole and the #8 on it's own? Thanks for the help and fast response. Also, I do have a lot of left over wood on this project if I secured some lengths of 1X6 under the joists and secured the wires to that would that be OK? Thanks again!

#157557 - 02/20/05 08:00 AM Re: question on wiring in a crawl space????
SpeedyPetey Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: NY State
Yes, that would be fine. And you are correct as to the wires.
A board is good especially if it is an unused crawl. I have seen in some mods where they used the running board method under 2x10's with 8' of height. Very tacky IMO.

I do see after re-reading what you meant, sorry.

PLEASE don't PM me questions. I will NOT answer them via PM.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.