Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (Rainie, debodun, Reedster), 45 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#148560 - 01/21/05 03:05 PM # 1 heating oil vs kerosene
ricklin6 Offline
first timer

I am looking at installing a heater in my garage. The heater is labeled for #1 oil. What is the difference between #1 oil and kerosene? I have kerosene now.

#148561 - 01/21/05 03:40 PM Re: # 1 heating oil vs kerosene
ricklash7 Offline
Handyman

Loc: connecticut

#148562 - 01/21/05 05:01 PM Re: # 1 heating oil vs kerosene
HeatPro Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: South New Jersey
I quote this here as several DIY's have indicated that kerosene and fuel oil is the same thing as truck fuel. It is good to know the difference, especially when tempted to use like fuels that are just a little different. The difference in refining cleanliness, sulphur content, heat content, and viscosity can make a small difference while burning that rapidly clogs or changes combustion properties which can become dangerous.

In reply to:

True premium fuel should not be confused with blended fuel or No. 1 diesel fuel. No. 2 is similar to furnace oil (with diesel additives), while No. 1 is essentially kerosene, a lighter hydrocarbon with much less paraffin or wax, and less energy content. Like premium, No. 1 also has additives.

Blended fuel is a mix of No. 1 and No. 2 appropriate for preventing waxing and filter clogging at the stated temperature. Straight No. 1 offers maximum protection against waxing, but poorer fuel economy than No. 2 or even blends.

Premium fuel consists of the heavier hydrocarbons of No. 2, but with additives designed to help operations in many ways, including preventing waxing and filter clogging in the cold. Thatís why itís easy to confuse premium with blended fuels.

http://www.etrucker.com/apps/news/article.asp?id=40015

CONVERSION FACTORS
Average Energy Content of Various Fuels
1 kilowatt-hour of electricity . . . . . . . . . . . 3,413 Btu
1 cubic foot of natural gas . . . . . . . . . 1,008 to 1,034 Btu
1 therm of natural gas . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100,000 Btu
1 gallon of kerosene or light distillate oil . . . 135,000 Btu
1 gallon of middle distillate or diesel fuel oil . . 138,690 Btu
1 gallon of residual fuel oil . . . . . . . . . . . 149,690 Btu
In reply to:

Most problems with kerosene heaters are caused by the kerosene. Here are some guidelines to follow:

* Use only perfectly clear K-1 kerosene. Take a glass jar with you to test for clarity, it should be as clear as water. Any yellowish or cloudy kerosene will ruin the wick quickly. After 30 days storage kerosene will begin to decompose and should not be used. When installing a new wick, always refill the heater with fresh K-1 kerosene.
* Small amounts of water can ruin the wick. Water that is trapped in the wick will block the flow of kerosene. This causes low, unevern flames and possibly odor. Also, water condensation can occur in the heater's fuel tank or the kerosene storage can)especially metal ones). The use of proven fuel additives such as WickCleaner and American Wick brand will eliminate any problems caused by water.
* Use only plastic storage cans which have been made specifically for kerosene. The use of other types of containers (i.e.: plastic milk jugs, cooking oil bottles, gasoline cans, etc.) will contaminate your kerosene. Small amounts of gasoline or other flammable liquids mixed with kerosene can cause fires, flare-ups and soot. Never use your storage can for anything except pure K-1 kerosene.
* ...Always follow the rules for safety outlined in your kerosene heater owners manual.

IMPORTANT: RED DYE INFORMATION
What is it? The US government requires that red marker dye be added to kerosene fuel to be used for heating purposes. The red dye enables the government to distinguish between kerosene used for heating and kerosene used in some motor vehicles. In some parts of the country clear "K-1" kerosene may be available if dealers meet certain storage and pumping requirements. Always ask for clear K-1 kerosene.
Why should you be concerned about Red-Dye? Unfortunately, red dye hides problems with kerosene fuel quality that you would normally see if the red dye was not in the fuel (high sulfur content, old kerosene, moisture, cross-contamination by other fuels, and other impurities).

http://servicesales.com/kerosene/wick_3C_instructions.html

#148563 - 01/21/05 10:00 PM Re: # 1 heating oil vs kerosene
atelsth Offline

Loc: Western Maryland
So, does this mean I shouldn't use kero or deasel as a temp fuel if I run out of #2 while Im waiting for a delivery. I've never done this (although I have run out of #2 on a friday night) but I've always wondered. Is it harmful or dangerous for 10 to 15 gallons over a weekend?

#148564 - 01/21/05 10:19 PM Re: # 1 heating oil vs kerosene
HeatPro Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You might try to second-wish the instructions at your peril; I suggest you don't. As you are not talking about a specific heater as you have not named one by make and model, there is no way to know what the effect will be.

http://www.alsheating.com/ToyostoveLaser73Heater.htm

#148565 - 01/22/05 09:54 AM Re: # 1 heating oil vs kerosene
ricklin6 Offline
first timer

Heatpro, Thanks for the info. My reason for asking is that I was going to buy this heater ( Sears # 155.464.110/ Preway SVM 50F ) as a garge heater, but I presently heat my house with vented Monitor heaters and have a 250gallon Kero supply. If I could use the Kero for this heater I would get it. The unit is brand new/never used. What do you think?

#148566 - 01/22/05 10:10 AM Re: # 1 heating oil vs kerosene
atelsth Offline

HeatPro,

By specific, do you mean a brand or a type. If type, it's a an oil burner that circulates hot water. It's about 30 yrs old and uses a .85 80 degree nozzle.

The brand is sears which I guess could mean anything.

#148567 - 01/22/05 10:22 AM Re: # 1 heating oil vs kerosene
HeatPro Offline
Carpal Tunnel

As an answer to both posters. If the manufacturer's instructions say to use a certain fuel, then you might use it. If there is no instructions to use a fuel, don't use it.

There is no way for anyone who has not done a combustion test on your machine to know what the affect of using a slightly different fuel will do in a burner. As the air/fuel ratio is set optimally for one fuel, changing the fuel content changes the air/fuel mixture. Hopefully, the burner will act well; but hope doesn't guarantee safety. If the mixture was borderline bad before it could get seriously worse with extra fuel seeking more air outside the unit or not enough fuel introduction to burn all the fuel so it gathers in the chamber and flues til explosion. Changing fuel viscosity and cleanliness changes the angle of the nozzle which can cause problems. Without having an actual combustion instrument test to see the results all is a guess; and to be safe I would assume worse.

#148568 - 01/22/05 06:20 PM Re: # 1 heating oil vs kerosene
atelsth Offline

Thanks. In that case, my burner shall remain monogamous, devoted to the fuel to which it was betrothed and which has remained faithful to it throughout their 30+ year relationship.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.