Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (twoshoes, Bob_Q, JasonB, jigs), 47 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#143422 - 01/07/05 02:27 AM Toilet won't flush after rain
fireXJ Offline
first timer

Loc: Morehead, Ky
OK, been having trouble for awhile with the toilet not flushing after it rains. When you do flush, it's like it is about to overflow, but does not. Also, the bio-solids will not flush. When it stops raining,we can wait about 2-3 hours and it will flush OK.

We rent where we live. The septic tank is approx. 200' downhill from the mobile home. The landlord and i checked to see if the septic tank needed to be pumped out, but, there were hardly any solids in the tank. When it rains after a while, before this begins, you can hear the toilet bubbling, and also see the water bubbling.

Does it sound like a collapsed leachline? there is a small road thru the field just below the septic tank, and i've noticed what looks like a long ditch just below the septic tank. Vehicles have been traveling across what i believe to be the leachline.

Also, we will get sewer odors when this occurs.

I'm having trouble trying to make my landlord understand that i think it is a collapsed leachline. Is this what it sounds like?

This is my first post as newbie, please be easy

#143423 - 01/07/05 04:44 AM Re: Toilet won't flush after rain
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
No expert on septic systems, but I would say a pumping is in order. Check again. It does sound like it is filling with rainwater but you need to find out where. Most likely needs a pro.

Edited by Just_Bill (01/07/05 04:46 AM)

#143424 - 01/07/05 03:20 PM Re: Toilet won't flush after rain
fireXJ Offline
first timer

Checked the solids in the tank about 2 months ago, hardly any solids in there.
It's raining again, and it will just be a matter of time before it starts filling up again.

#143425 - 01/07/05 06:42 PM Re: Toilet won't flush after rain
fireXJ Offline
first timer

Talked with a septic system installer. Here is how he told me to check the system.
1) Dig and expose a section of pipe going from the home to the tank (if you don't have a cleanout).

2)Drill a 1" hole in the pipe, and start running water from the house.

3) See if any water shoots up out of hole, if it does then you have a stopped up or damaged drain line to the tank.

If no water comes out,then drain line should be OK.
Now to next step.

4) Dig and expose septic tank lid.

5) If water is coming out, then you have, either a tank that needs pumped, OR, your leetchfield is damaged or collapsed causing water to back fill the tank to where it is too full of water, that the water has nowhere else to go. So it will either come thru the ground at the top of the tank, OR, fill your drain line going to the home.

So, tomorrow i'm sure it will be raining like it has for the past 7 months, i'm going to try this.

The installer also said, if the water can relieve itself on the ground , and you are able to flush the toilet and run water without it gurgling, then the problem is more than likely the leechfield or equivelant to what you have.

At this point i will try anything. I'll keep everyone interested in to what i find out.

#143426 - 01/08/05 06:54 AM Re: Toilet won't flush after rain (UPDATE)
fireXJ Offline
first timer

Well, i came home from work this morning and thaught i'd do a little digging around. Exposed the top of the septic tank. To my surprise, i found a collapsed steel 500 gal. tank! So, i guess i'd better give the landlord a wakeup call ! My Wife and i tried to tell him there was a problem, but, he just said "I don't know what it could be". Well, now i can tell him what it was/is.

I'm just glad it's not my problem, and glad i'm not a landlord

#143427 - 01/08/05 09:18 AM Re: Toilet won't flush after rain (UPDATE)
BADennis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: NW Indiana
Great job with the investigative work. Sounds like good things ahead, at least for you.

#143428 - 01/08/05 11:42 AM Re: Toilet won't flush after rain (UPDATE)
compman72 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Northwest Georgia
Steel Tank I remember where I used to live (Iowa) my Dad was walking behind the house and walked over the septic tank and almost fell in. Those old steel tanks can be a hazzard as well.

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.