Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (CabinConnection, 1 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#13750 - 05/16/02 05:02 PM water leakage from Weil-Mclain Gas Boiler
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a Weil-Mclain gas boiler for our baseboard heating. We have paid $650 in repairs, but our boiler is still leaking water from the spill-off valve. Our repair person said that it was normal for leakage to occur from that location when the pressure is at 30; however with a new tank, make-up valves, and air bladders, I would expect not to have any more leakage from it. I would like to learn more about how gas boilers work and the various reasons why water spill-off occurs. Where can I find this information online or at the library? Or better yet, do you know what is wrong with my furnace?

#13751 - 05/16/02 05:14 PM Re: water leakage from Weil-Mclain Gas Boiler
Dennis_H_N.J. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Toms River, N.J.
Your H2O pressure should be set @ 12lbs or 20' on the gauge when the water is cold in the boiler... You have a very good boiler, but a lousey boiler tech.. GOOD LUCK!!

#13752 - 05/16/02 09:08 PM Re: water leakage from Weil-Mclain Gas Boiler
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you Dennis for your reply. I agree that my boiler tech is lousy. Anyhow the weather has been warm, and the furnace was at 15. I just cranked the heat up and the gauge remains 15-20. I don't know why the pressure is ok, but there is still a little bit of leakage. The first time the tech came over he said that the leakage may be due to the pressure being set too high. I guess it was set to 220 and he turned it down to 180 (We have two zones in our house by the way). It seems the pressure settings are fine. Do you think I should call this guy again to have him look at it again, or is it normal for boilers to leak some water? Thanks.

#13753 - 05/16/02 09:35 PM Re: water leakage from Weil-Mclain Gas Boiler
Harold_hydronicnetwork.net Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It is not correct for a boiler system to spill water, but it is normal to have improper service, so many do leak or spill water when not prepared corectly. You can find more information at:

http://64.226.150.132/hydronic/service/purgeair.htm

#13754 - 05/29/02 09:54 PM Re: water leakage from Weil-Mclain Gas Boiler
Anonymous
Unregistered

You mentioned "air bladders". I assume that you are referring to the bladder in an expansion tank. A water-logged (leaky bladder)expansion tank is usually the cause of the relief valve leakage if pressure and temp are initially set correctly.

#13755 - 05/29/02 10:18 PM Re: water leakage from Weil-Mclain Gas Boiler
Anonymous
Unregistered

I misread the itemized bill. I should have written "air bleeds".

My handyman came back and said pretty much the same thing that you just said. The pressure release valves have gotten old. It releases excess pressure, but it doesn't fall back in its place properly, which is what causes the continuous leakage. This second repair will cost us an additional $250. We have paid $650 already ($120 for just walking in the door and adjusting the pressure and $520 for replacing the tank, make-up valves, and air bleeds).

Are his prices normal? Was the initial repair necessary?

Thank you! Everyone has been so helpful!

#13756 - 05/30/02 08:26 AM Re: water leakage from Weil-Mclain Gas Boiler
JimM Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Don't feel bad ...we have a "contract" with our local gas company on our boiler, but we just paid $1300 for 3 new recirculating pumps plus $150 for a plumber to fix leaks that were caused by the gas companys repair. PLUS we needed to get an electrician to do some rewiring on the units...would have been better off with just a heating company.. needless to say we no longer have a "contract" with the gas company! Its not always as bad as you think!!

#13757 - 05/30/02 09:04 AM Re: water leakage from Weil-Mclain Gas Boiler
Harold_hydronicnetwork.net Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yes psdiana, a broken or maladjusted expansion tank will cause the problem you had, so the repair was necesary. A plumbing/heating company requires $65 per hour BEFORE the man can make money to take care of HIS home, so the prices are high. Buy a truck and all the equipment, open an office and mantain office requirements to attend to the state and IRS taxes, to see what an investment it is. Learning the basics to maintain your unit and to identify leaks is an important investment in having as few necessary visits as possible.

#13758 - 05/31/02 10:08 PM Re: water leakage from Weil-Mclain Gas Boiler
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a HVACR tech, that price seems about right. Get a licensed company with journeymen plumbers/gas fitters. Ask your friends! Good techs are fantastic. Bad ones make you poor and make the trade look poor.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.