Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (Clint_Robbins, 2 invisible), 50 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#133413 - 12/01/04 09:52 AM 4-prong stove plug and 3-prong outlet
200yearoldhome Offline
first timer

I just bought a new stove and it has a 220v 4-prong plug. The outlet for the stove is for a 3-prong plug. My question are which one should be replaced (stove plug or outlet). I have done a fare bit of electrical work so I am somewhat familiar with wiring. I live in Maryland.

#133414 - 12/01/04 10:00 AM Re: 4-prong stove plug and 3-prong outlet
know_a_bit Offline
taught by my Dad

Loc: Washington, D.C. area
The following is true for electrical dryers and I assume it is true for stoves (but I could be wrong).

Old code was 2-conductor (plus ground) wire with a 3-prong receptacle. The black and white wires both carried a hot and the neutral shared the ground. Later, code required 3-conductor (plus ground) wire with a 4-prong receptacle. The hot was carried on the red and black, the white is neutral, and the ground is separate. When moving to a house with a 3-prong receptacle, you would go to HD (or similar) and buy a new wire for the dryer. Code did not require you to run a new cable from the breaker box.

If the same is true for stoves, you should be able to buy a new cord and plug. Your stove manual should have information about changing it out. However, if you cannot find any information about changing out the cord, you likely cannot do it. In that case, you would need to run a new cable of 3-conductor from the breaker box to the stove. The difficulty depends on the locations of the breaker box and the stove and how the area between (basement, attic, rooms, etc) are finished.

Of course, some will say even if you can change the cord, change the cable if you can since 3-conductor is better than 2-conductor.

#133415 - 12/01/04 12:23 PM Re: 4-prong stove plug and 3-prong outlet
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
With the breaker off check the stove receptacle. If it has 4 wires(black, red, white, ground) then change the receptacle. If it only has 3 wires then change the cord on the stove. The manual for the stove should have instuctions on how to connect it properly for 3 wire hookup.

Moderator:  3phase, Ernie, FranS, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.