Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (rfm3, 2 invisible), 56 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#132684 - 11/28/04 04:07 PM clogged garbage disposal - how can I unclog it?
kokoandadam Offline
first timer

Our garbage disposal (brand: in-sink-erator) seems to have clogged up after my husband put some old broccoli down there. The motor seems to be working fine, but the water is all backed up. I've tried moving the blades back & forth to clear any jams; short of calling a plumber, is there any less expensive way of fixing this? I've read mixed advice on whether or not liquid plumber et. al. are safe to put down a drain when a garbage disposal is involved.

#132685 - 11/28/04 09:25 PM Re: clogged garbage disposal - how can I unclog it?
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

In reply to:

I've read mixed advice on whether or not liquid plumber et. al. are safe to put down a drain when a garbage disposal is involved.

I wouldn't put any down into my food waste disposal!!

In reply to:

Our garbage disposal (brand: in-sink-erator) seems to have clogged up

I find it usually isn't in the disposal itself that gets clogged up but often right at the exit plumbing or in the trap...may need to open up the plumbing to have a peek or to clean.

A copy from ISE:

Make certain that the disposer's power switch is in the off position.

Use a plunger or plumber's helper to free the clog.

If you have multiple sinks, place a stopper in the non-disposer sinks. Place a pot full of water over the stoppers, and fill the non-disposer sink with four inches (10cm) of water.

Fill the disposer sink with four inches (10cm) of water. Place the plunger over the disposer opening and press down slowly and gently. Then, pull the plunger upwards quickly using your strength. Repeat this pulling action several times.

When the clog is dislodged, run the water and the disposer for a minute or two.

If the plunger does not dislodge the clog, you may need to disconnect the disposer's plumbing to clear the line. A plumber or drain cleaning service like Roto-Rooter may be needed for particularly difficult clogs.

DO NOT USE CHEMICALS!
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RUN SNAKE THROUGH DISPOSER!

jeff.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.