Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#130181 - 11/18/04 03:09 PM Kenmore washer sometimes doesn't spin
LMT32 Offline

I have a Kenmore washer (one of the old belt-driven models) and it will go through the washing and rinsing cycle where it goes left and right as it should, but sometimes it does spin and sometimes it doesn't and I have to spin the tub to make it spin (The motor humms when it doesn't spin). If anyone knows what's wrong, please reply. Thanks.

#130182 - 11/18/04 03:30 PM Re: Kenmore washer sometimes doesn't spin
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

Model#?

In reply to:

(The motor humms when it doesn't spin).

The motor hummmmmmms as in not running and hummmmmmming only or is the motor running making a hummm noise without the spin working? Does the water usually drain out?

jeff.

#130183 - 11/18/04 05:04 PM Re: Kenmore washer sometimes doesn't spin
LMT32 Offline

The motor is running making a hum noise without the spin working and it sometimes will hum when it is supposed to be draining until I spin the tub, and as for the model#, I looked under the lid, behind and beside the washer, so I don't have any info about the washer exept that it's an 80 series and it's a top-loader.

#130184 - 11/18/04 10:03 PM Re: Kenmore washer sometimes doesn't spin
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
In reply to:

The motor is running making a hum noise without the spin working and it sometimes will hum when it is supposed to be draining until I spin the tub

Something here and esp here may help.

jeff.

#130185 - 11/19/04 12:11 AM Re: Kenmore washer sometimes doesn't spin
Wedgeman Offline
journeyman

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
A very likely cause is the wig wag - (2 coils down by the motor). One is for wash, one is for spin. Check to make sure the glides are not sticking (on the end of the plungers coming out of the coils - sometimes get bent up). Make sure when the machine goes into spin that the spin coil is getting 120 Volts. What I do is disconnect the 2 wires to the spin coil, loop them underneath and clamp a voltmeter to them . If your getting a steady 120 volts, the problem might be an intermittant spin coil, or the plunger in the coil is sticking. If your not getting a steady 120, problem could likely be either a pressure switch problem or a timer problem. More than most likely you have to change the wig wag (part number should be 84867). If you do have to replace the coils and they are frozen on the shaft when you try to remove them, I use a tie rod tool and a little rust buster. I used to work on about 1000 of the commercial version of these for my old company and their really not that hard to fix. One more piece of advice - check to make sure there is not too much rust around the frame of the machine. When I go look at one of these anymore, I never advise anyone to put in too much money if the frame or lower tub area has a very large amount of decay (rust). Use your intuition - a wig wag isn't that expensive, but if it needs a timer or other expensive part, Might be time for a new machine. Let us know how you made out . Have a doughnut and coffee, relax and good luck.

#130186 - 11/27/04 01:25 PM Re: Kenmore washer sometimes doesn't spin
LMT32 Offline

I'm sorry it took so long for me to reply to the last post. In reply to the opinion that my wig-wag may be out, I want to say that we just had a brand new wig-wag installed about 4-5 months ago. So I don't understand why a new wig-wag would just go out all of a sudden. Could it be something else causing the problem?

#130187 - 02/24/05 05:43 PM Kenmore washer doesn't spin
raymanpc Offline
first timer

I have some strange experience with the wig wag, my old Kenmore washer quit spinning about two month age, hired a repairman to replace the wig wag ($85), three weeks later same thing failed again, he replaced another one (warranty). Yesterday it failed again, I will replace it myself this time.
My quetions is why always the left solenoid (control the spin) fail? is it to do with too much load in the tub? or unstabe voltage to destroy the coil?
Thanks

#130188 - 02/24/05 09:37 PM Re: Kenmore washer doesn't spin
didy Offline

is the coil open ? or broken, also check for broken wires , this was very common on the belt drive.the wire breaks in the insulation a couple inches up.pull the wire to see if it's broke,if so replace it splicing back 6 inches or so, if broken replace the plunger/cambar and clutch shaft (with roller)

#130189 - 02/24/05 09:42 PM Re: Kenmore washer sometimes doesn't spin
didy Offline

if it spins when you give it a push your basket drive/clutch is probably worn out. better go shopping,

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.