Handyman Wire

Who's Online
5 registered (bilvihur, Bob_Q, ron45, 2 invisible), 51 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#128754 - 11/12/04 05:27 PM Tub drain won't stay open!
louinmaine Offline
journeyman

Loc: Maine
Ever since I bought my home 12 years ago the drain in the tub won't stay open. I can push the lever down, which opens the drain, but as soon as I let go it closes and stops up the drain. I'm tired of draping facecloths over it to hold it down. I've dismantled it several times to try to fix it, but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated!

#128755 - 11/12/04 05:38 PM Re: Tub drain won't stay open!
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
Those types of stoppers can be a real pain, I eventually just pulled mine out leaving the coverplate on the tub and use a plastic disc to cover the drain.

But, if I had to guess, I would guess that the metal plate that's on the back of the overflow cover is not catching the small arm that's supposed to keep the linkage up and prevent it from dropping down when the lever is up. Here's a link that'll show the back of the overflow plate. You'll have to scroll down in the link to see the picture. You'll notice the small arm and how it catches on that metal plate. Yours could be either broken off or just old and worn down. You can buy new parts to make it work proper.

#128756 - 11/12/04 05:56 PM Re: Tub drain won't stay open!
mllpalmyra Offline

Loc: pa
yes pull out the linkage and see if your drain runs free with it out.

#128757 - 11/12/04 06:22 PM Re: Tub drain won't stay open!
louinmaine Offline
journeyman

Loc: Maine
Thanks all! Since I already know the drain works with the linkage removed, I may just take it out and use Dora's idea of using the manual stopper.
Lou

#128758 - 11/12/04 10:17 PM Re: Tub drain won't stay open!
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
If it won't stay open, the back of the faceplate for the overflow may be worn. Take it off by removing the two screws. The back of the lever should ride on two triangular parts molded to the plate. There is a spring that puts pressure on things to hold them in place.
If the tips are worn down or the spring is missing, the weight of the linkage will close the drain. Replacement plates are cheap to buy and easy to install if yours is bad. Bob.

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.