Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (twoshoes, 1 invisible), 65 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#118983 - 10/14/04 04:18 PM Single stem Moen shower faucet hard to turn off
lvh Offline
first timer

Hi all

I have a shower faucet control that is extremely hard to push it to off. ( It takes bracing against the far wall to get enough force to push it in fully.) Any thoughts on disassemble and repair ?

#118984 - 10/14/04 04:31 PM Re: Single stem Moen shower faucet hard to turn off
vid Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Mad City
1. Purchase new cartridge.
2. Read the part of the instructions that come with the new cartridge that covers removing the old cartridge then remove it.
3. Install new cartridge.
4. Take a shower.

#118985 - 10/14/04 07:02 PM Re: Single stem Moen shower faucet hard to turn off
lvh Offline
first timer

Thanks for quick reply, just installed new once and still does it, and I have to shut off the main valve out side of the house to stop the the water so I could pushed it back in.

#118986 - 10/14/04 10:34 PM Re: Single stem Moen shower faucet hard to turn off
Bob_Fleming Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ft Collins, CO USA
I was advised by my favorite plumbing supply place to clean out the valve body before installing the new cartridge. They sold me a simple wire brush with a long stem for that purpose; it looks like the type used to clean out a copper fitting before soldering, only slightly longer. I use that whenever working with a Moen cartridge, and it does make it easier to get the cartridge in place. I also lightly coat the outside of the cartridge with plumbers silicone grease.
These two steps may make the new cartridge easier to operate. Shouldn't be necessary, but ...
Also, is it possible that the knob is binding on the tube that fits around the cartridge?

#118987 - 10/14/04 10:41 PM Re: Single stem Moen shower faucet hard to turn off
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
I agree with what Bob said. Also, did you get the proper replacement for your fixture? The plastic cartridges will fit any faucet, the brass ones can only be used where there was a brass one originally. I just use plastic on everything, keeps my inventory costs down. Bob.

#118988 - 10/15/04 12:20 PM Re: Single stem Moen shower faucet hard to turn off
hard_drive Offline
Handyman

Loc: N.E. Missouri
When replacing the cartridge, did you replace it with the same type that came out?

Brass or Plastic cartridge?

..............#1200........................#1225

Also, are you sure you replaced the Special Retaining Clip, after installing the new one???
It should prevent the cartridge from being forced out by water pressure, once seated.

Almost sounds like one of the 'O'-rings has pulled out of it's 'O'-ring groove. (possible on the brass model) The silicone grease (available for $3), as mentioned above by Bob_Fleming, should help prevent that from happening...

#118989 - 10/15/04 01:45 PM Re: Single stem Moen shower faucet hard to turn off
Drager Offline

Loc: Wauwatosa, WI
Not to rain on your parade, but Moen guarantees their products for life, and will send you free replacement parts if you call them and tell them what you've got (e.g., faucet model #), and what the problem is. Go to their web site for more information, and pictures of pretty much every faucet they've ever made:

web page

#118990 - 10/15/04 03:45 PM Re: Single stem Moen shower faucet hard to turn off
hard_drive Offline
Handyman

Loc: N.E. Missouri

If this faucet should ever develop a leak or drip during the Warranty Period, Moen will FREE OF CHARGE provide the parts necessary to put the faucet back in good working condition and will replace FREE OF CHARGE any part or finish that proves defective in material and manufacturing workmanship, under normal installation, use and service. Replacement parts may be obtained by calling 1-800-289-6636 (Canada 1-800-465-6130), or by writing to the address shown below. Proof of purchase (original sales receipt) from the original consumer purchaser must accompany all warranty claims. Defects or damage caused by the use of other than genuine Moen parts is not covered by this warranty. This warranty is applicable only to faucets purchased after December, 1995 and shall be effective from the date of purchase as shown on purchaser's receipt.
...the small print, kills ya every time...
---
Hmmm, wonder what I done with that receipt....

#118991 - 10/19/04 10:55 AM Re: Single stem Moen shower faucet hard to turn off
lvh Offline
first timer

Thank you all for your help, finally I got it done last night, everything went well and smooth,Once again thank you.

#118992 - 10/24/04 02:24 PM Re: Single stem Moen shower faucet hard to turn o
jakeconnor Offline
first timer

Where can you get the gasket behind the round metal plate? I also need to replace my Moen cartridge. The gasket has disintegrated. I called up Moen and they do not have the replacement part. The Moen part style was from 1975.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.