Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (CabinConnection, BobR, DonkeyDave, 1 invisible), 47 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#118595 - 10/13/04 01:30 PM Toilet making low hissing noise on and off
Pabster Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Hello,
I have a toilet making a low hissing noise. When I removed the cover I could see there is a plastic valve with button on top. Attached to that is a plastic arm that goes to a black plastic float the size of a grapefruit. I noticed when I SLIGHTLY pull up on the plastic arm the float is attached to, the noise stops. The toilet is only one or two years old and the float appears to be fine (no holes or anything and appears to float properly and has no water in it).
I whipped out my home repair manual and it mentions bending the arm the float is attached to so that the noise stops. However the arm is metal in the book so it is bendable, but my arm is plastic, so I can't bend it. I tried messing with the screw where the plastic arm meets the button, but that didn't help.
I was hoping someone could provide a tip here. The toilet, which is only a year or two old suddenly started doing this a few weeks ago and does it all day long now. I went to home depot to see what I could find, and all I could find was a complete kit to replace EVERYTHING inside the tank of the toilet. But everything doesn't look exactly the same so I am hesitant to gut the whole toilet for fear I might not get it working again and will have no toilet. I'm hoping to tweak what's there and hopefully get the valve to stay quiet. Any ideas? Thanks!

#118596 - 10/13/04 01:45 PM Re: Toilet making low hissing noise on and off
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
You probably need to replace the flapper valve at the bottom of the toilet tank. People around here seem to love the Fluidmaster products. Less than 5 bucks.

The flapper you have is leaking slowly. The tank level drops a bit, and the fill valve tops it up. Repeat ad nausium.

Good luck,

J

#118597 - 10/13/04 01:58 PM Re: Toilet making low hissing noise on and off
Pabster Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Actually it sounds like the fill valve is what is hissing constantly, as though it never completely shuts off. If I pull up on the float arm, the toilet stays perfectly quiet until the next flush.

#118598 - 10/13/04 10:37 PM Re: Toilet making low hissing noise on and off
Nederlander Offline

Loc: Ellicott City, MD
In that case the flapper is OK.
Try to lower the float a little.
If that's impossible, there is no other solution than to buy a new fill assembly...
Don't worry, mounting it isn't too hard, I'm not a plumber and did it myself. The assembly comes with a manual.

#118599 - 10/13/04 11:59 PM Re: Toilet making low hissing noise on and off
Nestor_Kelebay Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Pabster:

No, I think all you need to do is clean the area of that fill valve near where the rubber diaphragm is.

What you need to do is this:

1. Shut off the water to the toilet

2. Remove the three or four screws holding the top on the fill valve. The little button that the float arm pushes down on is connected to the rubber diaphragm, and you want to clean both sides of the rubber diaphragm and the area of the fill valve above and below the rubber diaphragm.

3. Once you remove the screws holding the top on that fill valve, you should be able to remove the top, float arm and float as an assembly. You should now see the rubber diaphragm at the top of the fill valve.

4. Remove the rubber diaphragm, and look to see if there was any dirt or anything under it. If the rubber is rotting so that it leaves black stains on your fingers, it means you need a new rubber diaphragm. If you can find a manufacturer's name on your fill valve, you should be able to buy a replacement at your local home center or hardware store.

5. After cleaning and/or replacing the rubber diaphragm, put the fill valve back together and turn your water back on. Problem should be fixed now.

Most likely either the rubber diaphragm is rotting and needs to be replaced, or some dirt just got caught between the diaphragm and the seat it seals against.

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.