Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (CabinConnection, 2 invisible), 47 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#113000 - 09/27/04 07:00 PM Hydrotherm Boiler Issues
canderson1968 Offline
first timer

I am a novice at gas boilers (although handy...), and I am planning on getting a proper technician in to help anyway...but I thought I would post my problem to see if I am missing something simple...

Our home is heated with an older gas boiler (Hydrotherm HC-100) - probably installed in the 1960's. For the last three years it has worked fine. Yesterday, I turned the power on to the boiler, lit the pilot light, and then turned up the thermostats around the home to see if the main burner would light - and nothing...Pilot light is on, there is a humming coming from the boiler relay, and it sounds like (and feels like) there is water that is circulating through the pipes to the various zones. It just seems like the main burner is not igniting...what would be the most likely problem, and is this going to be expensive?

The only thing that was different this year is that I had turned off the pilot light during the summer when we went on an extended vacation...

Thanks for any help you can provide...

#113001 - 09/27/04 07:11 PM Re: Hydrotherm Boiler Issues
HeatPro Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: South New Jersey
Worst case is that the gas valve is no longer good. Better case is that there is a problem with the wiring circuit.

Big problem is that the 1960's 60% efficient boiler has been throwing away about 25% of your fuel for 40 years. A new boiler would pay for itself in a reasonable time with the extra 25% of fuel saved, as most new boilers are now 84% efficient or better.

#113002 - 09/28/04 07:43 AM Re: Hydrotherm Boiler Issues
Snapper Offline
journeyman

Your unit should have what is known as a power pile the pilot generates milivolts of electricity to open up gas valve make sure pilot is cleaned if so you would need a volt meter to check the power pile for 750 milivolts

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.